Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
ISO Salmon (preferably) or tuna patties recipe

sunny90

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 11:02 am
I'd prefer salmon because of the omega-3! I've been searching the site but I'm just coming up with the supper menu threads. Can anyone help me?

greeneyes

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 12:01 pm
These salmon patties are slightly time consuming because of the sauteed onions, grated carrots etc. but they are really good.

1 can salmon
1-2 eggs, beaten (enough to bind the mixture together nicely)
1 small potato, boiled or microwaved & mashed
1 carrot, grated
1 onion, chopped & sauteed
salt & pepper to taste

Mix everything together, shape into patties & roll in cornflake crumbs. Bake or fry.

mama-star

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 6:03 pm
I just use canned tuna (or salmon) eggs and matzo meal and spices, you can fry them or bake them

momaleh

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 2:10 am
I do like mama-star but I add a little mayo.

mama-star

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 8:49 am
what I would also like to add is that when I use canned salmon, I buy it with the skin and bones. I drain the can of its liquid and put it in the food processor, grinding up the skin and bones along with the salmon "meat." this is very nutritious, and you cannot taste the skin and bones at all once they have been sufficiently processed,

sunny90

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 8:57 am
Thanks guys! Mama-star, whats ur ratio of tuna to eggs to matzah meal?

mama-star

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 9:37 am
I guess I would use one egg per can of salmon or tuna and I just sorta dump the matzo meal in - no set amount! I don't like the matzo meal to "overwhelm" the fish part so I guess I probably use enough to bind the patties. you can also use flour to do this, white or whole wheat.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 9:48 am
this salmon patty is made from fresh salmon, no need to sautee onions, comes out fairly quick.

* 500g/ 1/2 lb fresh salmon, (preferabl skin and bones removed, leave the dark coloured bits)
* 2-3 scallion, cleaned and chopped finely (I usually do this in the food processor)
* 1tsp grated fresh ginger root (optional)
* 1 egg
* 2 tbsp matzo meal
* salt and pepper, or any other seasoning mix (Season-All, Old Bay seasoning etc) that has paprika and celery salt.

Whiz fresh salmon in food processor to mince but before it turns into paste. (Trick is to cut them into smaller pieces before you put them in a bowl, and use pulsing several times.) You can leave small bits remaining. You can chop scallion at the same time. Mix in the rest of ingredients, rest for 5min or so. Form into 2-2.5" flat patties (best done with one spoon and one hand) and drop on heated UNOILED non-stick skillet. Cook for 2-3min on one side till golden, then flip and cook the other side similarly. Can be served hot or at room temperature. Can be frozen after cooked. Nice for nibbles and stuffing a pita with salad.

sunny90

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 10:08 am
Thanks all! These sound so good!
Would you believe, I want salmon and my dh wants tuna--said he had salmon patties once and didn't like them. But Mrs B, that recipe sounds so good I'm thinking about just making them and freezing them for myself!
Bummer! So much for all that omega-3! But at least its protein (right?)!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 10:51 am
About making the mix into patties, don't sweat too much into forming them. You can just drop a large spoonful on a skillet and flatten it with a spatula.

sped

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 11:23 am
I put the salmon or tuna into the food proccesser with carrot and squash, add 2 eggs, breadcrumbs (I don't like the taste matzah meal gives) salt and spices. It comes out really yummy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics