Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What do you do with your 9 month old

Falafel

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 11:12 pm
ALL DAY LONG?
Okay, so a few times a day you feed them, they nap, and you change a bunch of diapers in between, but how/how long do you play with them?
DD wants my attention, especially whenever I am on the computer. she comes around and starts pressing the buttons, I have to literally put the laptop on my knees and my feet on the couch so she wont reach, but honestly, this is too much! even when I go to the bathroom she follows me, stands/sits next to the door, banging her hands or toys on the door! (very cute and I feel very loved but..) why can't she play by herself?
even when I play with her, I dont know what to do! I encourage her to walk and play with her toys, but then she grabs them and starts chewing on them. she doesn't need me for that, I could catch up on dishes, fold laundry, anything! but as soon as I start to do something else she starts following me.
what can I do with her? what do YOU do with yours?

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 12:44 am
when I'm not shooing her away from the computer?

she unpacks drawers
throws toys around
we blow bubbles
library
I read to her
I cook supper and she hangs around
I bathe her
walk on the street and do errands
grocery
call over a neighbor

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 12:47 am
youre not suupposed to be at the computer when she's awake Smile. She needs your attention!

Honestly, when I need to do something and my baby wants my attention, I sit him down in his high chair with something that will keep him busy such as eating finger foods or an ice pop or drink a bottle. when you MUST be online for work or whatever, put your baby down near you in a booster seat or high chair and put on a youtube video or disney video in a small browser taking up half the screen, and you work on the other half of the screen.

theres nothing wrong with a baby toddling after you to go into the bathroom.

sit down and play with the baby and then get up and leave, hell continue playingon his own.

Tova

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 8:10 am
Mama Bear wrote:
when you MUST be online for work or whatever, put your baby down near you in a booster seat or high chair and put on a youtube video or disney video in a small browser taking up half the screen, and you work on the other half of the screen.

I think there must be other options than that.

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 8:29 am
When my oldest was 9 months old I had just gone back to work. Up until then, however, we played with toys, danced to music on a CD, played "music" with wooden spoons and plastic bowls, went for walks, errands (no car), played in the park, read stories. We made lunch, he napped...and occasionally he even "helped" me on the computer.

joy613

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 8:52 am
Babies this age love attention! I try to play and interact with her as much as I can. When DD is up I rarely get anything done around the house, but it doesn't bother me, I try to do things when she is sleeping. If I need to be at the computer for a bit while she's up and she's not happy being down by herself, I hold her while she has a toy in her hand.
I find that when I play and talk with her for a while, afterwards she is more likely to be willing to play by herself and occupy herself. So it's def worth the effort. And nothing is more rewarding than seeing her laugh.
Things that we do together:
- peekaboo- she LOVES it..I could do it a whole day, she laughs so hard everytime I reappear
- massage- it's very calming for her. I do her legs, arms, tummy,etc...
I can't think what else we do, but she likes when I just talk babytalk to her and look at her.
good luck

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 7:50 pm
Sing loads of songs with actions, like row row, if your happy and you know it, two little dicky birds, etc... dance with him, read books especially ones with a mirror in so he can look at himself, okey he's a bit older mine but I play building towers never get past the first three bricks as he knocks them down. Practice his walking with him around the lounge, probably nine months you can play musical toys with him, get a play drum and play that, they love musical toys!!!!! Play cars show him how to crawl around with a car making the bbrrrr noise and before it he will be doing it as well. If you are in the kitchen cooking give the baby a pan and a big metal spoon and show him how to bash it, he'll love the noise!!! what else I cannot think really. I make sure that Yehuda has a snack time, that way he calms down and has a little rest in his high chair and also has a little fill. Babies use a lot of energy so need to have their tummys filles often.

I think the key to looking after babies is a bit of routine at this age. Have a set time for breakfast, playing, walk, davening, snack, sleep, etc... and you will find your day runs smoother.

If you really run out of things to do, put the baby's coat on and go for a walk to the park and look at the dogs, etc... or put the baby on the swing.

A baby putting their toys in their musth is normal it's a way for them to learn about things, I know it's disgusting, LOL!!!!

Is their a child centre that you can join. I've hoined one and been to loads of classes, like baby massage, baby signing, music lessons for baby's, singing lessons, etc... If you can this is amazing and they give loads of tips on how to play and coimmunicate with your baby.

Good Luck with it, it does get easier to learn how to play with a baby I promise!!!!

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 8:22 pm
I taught m dd how to unpack cabinets. So now she can go for about an hour without looking for me.

Ronit

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 8:30 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
I taught m dd how to unpack cabinets. So now she can go for about an hour without looking for me.

And then you can take another hour to clean it up Wink

I aint teaching my son any of those tricks. He is 8 months, & comes racing every time a door opens.

Don't you worry ds #1 learned all these things on his own. From opening cabinets, to helping himself to something in the fridge. From playing in the oven, to climibing in & out of his crib. From opening doors & climing into his brothers crib. LOL

sporty

Post Wed, Nov 11 2009, 8:40 pm
Awww dd and I are attached at the hip and I love it.
Every day starts off the same pretty much.....bottle, play time, solids, play, nap. After nap it's bottle/solids and more play and then we go out to wherever we need to go. She'll nap again at some point while we are on the move. Sometimes it's a walk and errands, sometimes it's in the car. Then we come home, she gets dinner, play, and then bath and bed.
When she plays I dont necessarily have to sit with her on the floor but I need to be in the room otherwise she comes looking for me. So I can sit on a couch, go on a laptop or daven while she entertains herself with some toys (she eats them all too....) I dont like to leave her alone but tonight I knew she was fine so I was getting dinner ready and she came to find me. I ended up eating dinner with her right next to me with some toys. But she ignored the toys and instead dismantled the baby monitor that was on the floor.
Once a week we do a music class together too.
I always sing to her and now she dances when I sing. She used to love the song skinimarink but she got over that - now it's if you are happy and you know it!

I love being with her. I think I may be more attached than she is. Tomorrow I need to go meet with a nutritionist and I know I can't bring her along because she doesn't sit still and I need to be able to concentrate. I'm so sad that I will have to go somewhere w/o her. DH may have to stay home from work to watch her while I go. I wish I could have her along but she will go bonkers, she is full of energy B"H and always wants to move, not sit still.

ven

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 5:02 pm
my 9 month old loves playing with al (safe) kitchen utensils.
he also loves playing with pots,all plastic things , ... everything that makes loud noises and is kitchen related he so loves ! since last week he started dancing , so cute!!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 5:04 pm
Get together with a friend and her baby. 8) Wink

amother

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 5:06 pm
Get together with a friend and her baby. 8) Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics