Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How many ounces for a 9 month old

amother

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 6:25 pm
How many ounces does a 9 month old need if they eat solids a few times a day really nicely. Should they have a bottle after every meal? Or one in the morning and one in the evening and water with their meals?

I was under the impression that formula/breastmilk was supposed to be the main food throughout the first year of life but since the baby eats nice meals I feel like I'm overfeeding by giving them bottles also.

And what's the story with spitting up at this age? If a baby spits up a lot does that mean they are being overfed?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 9:59 am
Are you asking about ounces of formula or breastmilk?
Is the baby nursing as well?

The MAIN source of nutrition at this age should be from breastmilk/formula; food is just for tasting and getting used to.

I do not think a baby should ever get more than 5 ounces in a bottle at one time of anything, but that's just my opinion. I think it's a lot healthier to give smaller feedings more frequently than filling up on 9 ounce bottles less often.

foreverhappy

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 10:17 am
delete

Last edited by foreverhappy on Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 1:10 pm
Formula.
Should it be meal then bottle? One in the morning and one in the evening for sure. I never give more then 5 or 6 ounces.

ven

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 5:16 pm
my 9 month old gets about 7 ounces in the morning and 7 ounces before he goes to sleep , he eats solids two times a day . my doctor says he need about 16 ounces a day but no more , the rest needs to come from solids. mind u im from europe ,that's the way we do it here. 16 ounces in two bottles ,
I give him some water after every meal. and if u overfeed it will come out again .

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Nov 14 2009, 8:23 pm
at 9 months my baby lost interest in formula every three hours, and she settled into a routine of three meals, and a bottle only by naptime and bedtime.

In general, for infants I learned on imamother an equation that works nicely: Take your baby's weight and multiply it by 2.5 == that is the number of ounces the baby should get in a 24 hours period. But when your baby starts eating foods, you will see that amount cut to half in no time. If your baby is spitting up, it is being overfed. Skip the formula and leave it just for napping and bedtime.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 9:07 pm
my baby weighs 22 pounds. are you talking kg?
So what should I give the baby with the meal- water? My baby doesnt need a bottle before naptime to fall asleep.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 9:10 pm
I'm talking pounds. My baby weighs that much too. She sips with a sippie cup during mealtimes, plain water. She does take a bottle to bed though.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 10:04 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
at 9 months my baby lost interest in formula every three hours, and she settled into a routine of three meals, and a bottle only by naptime and bedtime.

In general, for infants I learned on imamother an equation that works nicely: Take your baby's weight and multiply it by 2.5 == that is the number of ounces the baby should get in a 24 hours period. But when your baby starts eating foods, you will see that amount cut to half in no time. If your baby is spitting up, it is being overfed. Skip the formula and leave it just for napping and bedtime.
I think I gave that equation, but for nursing Wink
And it is only valid for the first few months...a 5 month old doesn't need more than a 3 month old, for example. By 9 months when solids are also given, I think the average amount of liquid is around 35 ounces a day (breastfeeding studies I've read)...so a 9 month old who weighs 20 lbs wouldn't get 50 ounces!

drumjj

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 11:16 am
my daughter who is almost nine months takes about 2-3 oz still every 3-4 hrs still. I dont know how to cut down her bottle.

ven

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 6:13 pm
my ds drinks water out of a sippy cup during the day. u can leave a botttle out when u substitute it with solidsn, my ds has 4 eating moments over a whole day.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 6:16 pm
I gave water instead of formula in the bottle today, except for snack time. There is still a lot of spit up! Maybe a sippy cup would be better because it doesn't come out so fast?
What's a good transition sippy cup from a gerber bottle?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics