Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
My Challah is not good :( Help please :)

amother

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 2:48 pm
Hello,
I was recently married and always dreamed of making delicious challah for shabbos. My challah is okay, but when I go to other peoples houses I cannot believe how delicious the challah is. I thought I followed one of the recipes from spice and spirit but I guess it just did not turn out? Does anyone have an easy no fail, soft challah recipe? Mine is turning out way too hard!

bubby

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 2:50 pm
It took me 33 years to successfully make Challah, so if I can do it, anyone can!!! Rolling Eyes Mine is unbelievable, but it's not my recipe (obviously) it's my DD's. PM me & I'll send you the recipe.

Shendellah

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 3:07 pm
I am also a newlywed and I am also having a hard time making delicious challah.. a few weeks ago I had a friend come over to make challah together. Challah is really hard to make simply by recipe (it's really the technique that makes it or breaks it) My friend makes out of this world challah so it was really nice to see how she did it!!! It came out delicious!!!! I havent been able to make mine as good as when she showed me but it gets better every week! Maybe a friend could give you a one on one lesson! I think the flour to wet ratio is something you have to learn to "feel". A recipe never gives the right amount of flour.

abismommy

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 6:03 pm
2 tips I heard from a pro:
1) the dough should be just sticky enough that when you touch it it feels sticky but enough that nothing stays on your finger.
2) let it rise in a greased pot covere tightly with plastic wrap or a garbage bag - it traps in the gasses and it rises better.
I have a 5 lb and a 6 lb recipe if you want them.

bashinda

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 8:41 pm
I think it's practice. the more you make challah the better it will be. I've been making it off and on for 8 years and I'm still thinking it needs tweaking. For awhile I was using Devorah Heller's recipe but then used the one in spice and spirit that has margarine (transfat free of course) and I tried that for last Shabbos and go figure I'm right now happier with that one but part of me thinks why can't it turn out like other people's. It seems like no matter how I try I'm meant to end up with bashinda style challahs even if I used the same recipe of somebody else. I guess that shows you how subjective challah baking really is!

Anyway keep trying! I was in a similar place in my shana rishona.

reachout

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 9:26 pm
I have a very good recipe! Whoever tastes my challas love them. If you want you can pm me.

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 1:23 am
Here's a tip I heard from a master baker. Ever since I've been doing this, my dough is much more smooth and the challos more fluffy:

After rising, separate the pieces to braid then roll out each piece with a rolling pin, absolutely flat. Then roll it up into a 'sausage' then use it to braid.

levial

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 10:09 am
I just read in a challah book that they recommend that you weigh ingredients rather than use measuring cups. I thought this was overkill but the author said that even using the same measuring cup the ingredients can vary widely - she showed her baking class how some people's 5 cups made a sticky wet dough and others could barely keep their dough together, and how to adjust (with water, or yeast or flour).

So it happens to everyone.

frumshopper

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 11:41 am
For fairly idiot-proof challah, use a bread machine. It takes care of all of the kneading and rising for you. My only complaint is that I cannot fine one big enough and wind up making 2 batches most weeks.

sunny90

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 11:50 am
reachout wrote:
I have a very good recipe! Whoever tastes my challas love them. If you want you can pm me.

Can you just post it so we can all enjoy? :-)

imab

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:34 pm
I make challah every week. I use 100% whole wheat flour and my challah's are light and fluffy. It is a result of a lot of work and research. One thing I did was read Shirley Corriher's cookwise which speaks a lot about bread making, gluten, yeast etc. I think some mistakes people make:

too much flour the dough should not be sticky, but just. If you add too much flour your challah will be heavy. Each kind of flour absorbs a different amount of water. If you tell me which kind you use I can help you better.

Not enough kneading: When you knead you are creating bubbles of gluten (the protein in flour) those bubbles are later filled with gasses by the yeast. If you don't have lots of bubbles then your gasses just escape if you have lots of bubbles you have fluffier challah. I knead challah at speed 4 on my kitchenaid for five minutes.

One cute tip from cookwise. If you bake your challah at 350 then preheat the oven to 325. Put your challah in and then raise the temp to 350. Why? Once a crust forms the challah can no longer rise any more. So if you put the challah in at 325 and then raise the temp you give the challah a bit more time to rise in the oven before the crust forms.

One more tip: to help with the rising even more put a tray of boiling water in the bottom of a gas oven to create steam.

Here is the recipe
My Challah

I use this for my challah recipe every week
1 package yeast (in refrigerator section)
1 ½ cups lukewarm water
2/3 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup oil
2 eggs
6 cups flour (divided 2+4)

Mix the yeast water and 2 cups flour in mixer for four minutes at medium speed. Now you have a sponge. Let it sit from a half hour to two and a half hours depending on your schedule. Stir in sugar, eggs, salt and oil. Add in four cups of flour one cup at a time. Add enough flour until the dough is smooth and knead by hand or by beater until smooth and elastic. (I knead at 4 on my kitchenaid for five minutes.) Let rise until doubled in size (around 2-3 hours depending on temperature). Punch down and shape. Let rise again. Preheat oven to 325 F. Brush with egg and sprinkle with seeds. Put challah in oven and turn to 350 F. Bake till golden brown and the bottom sounds hollow when tapped (about 30 minutes).
Makes 4 nice sized challot.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:36 pm
Weighing your ingredients, rather than measuring, is a far more accurate (and professional) way to bake in general.
To the OP: if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. It's a learned skill, and you can acquire it just as everyone else did!
The best advice here is allowing for the stickiness of the dough, which produces a fluffy and tender end-product.
I would suggest that initially you use a thermometer to check the temp. of the water you add to the yeast. Too hot - you kill the yeast. Too cold - it takes the yeast longer to act.
Make sure you knead your dough enough. If you are using a mixer, take the dough out of the mixing bowl and knead by hand. It's a very soothing activity for you, and good for the dough as well. Your hands can work in enough flour to get the proper stickiness.
A good dough will feel elastic, silky and smooth after it rises. Don't let it rise too much or you will get a deflated loaf.
All these things come with experience. Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen