Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent - with hot dogs?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mommy912

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 11:58 am
DL wrote:
Lamb however is amazing in a cholent.

I once put lamb in with my regular recipe and it tasted funny. How did you spice yours?

newu

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 7:14 pm
I wonder how many of you have heard this one....
A long time ago I went with my friend to her cousins house. They's had rice in the chulent. the way she did it was, she bought a brand new pair of cheap stockings (rinsed it), filled it with raw rice before shabbos and I think knotted the stocking, then dumped it into the chulent. The flavor and water from the chulent cooks the rice. On shabbos she just cuts open the stocking and serves delicious rice!!! It was yummy! Oh and by the way, I think that you could use a cheese cloth or vegie bag maybe instead of the funny sounding stocking! But it does add some humor to the recipe, don't you think!Smile

chen

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 7:24 pm
ldd wrote:
t you could use a cheese cloth or vegie bag maybe instead of the funny sounding stocking! But it does add some humor to the recipe, don't you think!Smile

ummm, yeah, I think I'd go for cheesecloth. the dyestuff in stockings can leach out into the cholent.

tzipp

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 7:45 pm
JEWISHMAMA wrote:
I put meaty hot dogs and eggs in my cholent for my kids and they love it.
They donĀ“t like the meat it is too stringy for them.
we also have sweet potatoes which are yummy!

That actually sounds good to me! I hardly ever make cholent because I don't like it ussually, and I don't think I make it well. Others have said it's ok- but I have never liked it. The one time it was better then usual I used chicken, white wine, onions, garlic, veggies, and rice but somehow even that lighter recipe tasted so overcooked that I didn't really like it.

deedee

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:16 pm
I put squash in mine-butternut or spagetti. I love the flavor that marrow bones give, I also love the marrow. I try to put mostly barley so its more like a stew. sometimes when I remember I'll throw in an egg, I like it.
Quote:
I also do broccoli, cucumbers, lentils....ive tried lots of different
shani5 how do cooked cumcumbers taste? I've never tasted them, I associate cucumbers with 'crunch'!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:44 pm
the whole cholent thing is gross.

SMELLY
MESSY
NAUSCIOUS

the only reason people make it is to give them something to do the whole week, FIGURE OUT HOW TO CLEAN THE DAM THING!!!!!!!!!

happy2beme

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 12:36 pm
amother, u sound like ur pregnant Smile

Crayon210

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 1:39 pm
I have started making mushroom-barley soup in the crockpot for Shabbos day...

ektsm

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 2:56 pm
Yuch!

brooklyn

Post Sun, Apr 09 2006, 2:34 pm
My kids like when I put eggs in it, Sweet potato is good, lots of barly and some BBQ sauce. Don't forget the unhealthy but yummy kishke. I personally prefer kalichal.

bonzie

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 7:23 pm
you know wuts yummy in cholent??

potatoe kugel!

try it this week, just a few pieces, then take it out shabbas lunch and eat it seperately, tell me what u think

MyKidsRQte

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 12:38 am
I make my chulent with navy beans, barley, cheek meat, marrow bones, jachnun, eggs, kilebasa, sometimes kishke. Whatever is leftover of my potato kugel I put into my chulent. That is amazing

yOungM0mmy

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 5:15 am
I sometimes make mine with chicken hot dogs, DH loves it. I tried it one week, cuz didnt have checken or meat left, and now he asks me to put them in. I only use chicken hot dogs, somehow regular hot dogs feel like rubber to me - I never eat them!

ChavieK

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 6:49 am
My boys love the hot dogs, but not everyone else does. So we wrap the hd in foil. The cholent taste gets in but h-d taste doesn't get out. I also put in the left over fri afternoon potato kugle.

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 8:10 am
When I was alone and my kids were little I put fleishic hot dogs for my kids. For them that was oneg Shabbos.

If the taste of lamb is too small or you want the taste w/o the cost do what sefardi shwarma sellers do. Buy alia (sheep fat) and put a small bit in cholent made w/any reg cholent meat but chicken. It puts the tase of lamb through out w/cheaper meat. real lamb is most tasty al haesh.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 9:21 am
amother wrote:

SMELLY
MESSY
NAUSCIOUS

the only reason people make it is to give them something to do the whole week,

The reason why they make is because it's minhag yisroel, and a very strong one. Someone who doesn't eat cholent - food kept warmed on a covered fire lit before Shabbos - in whatever form or variety - on Shabbos is suspected of being a Tzedoki, because the Tzedukim didn't believe in Torah Sh'b'al Peh.

Consequently, they interpreted the verse "lo tevaaru eish b'chol moshvoiseichem b'yom hashabbos" literally, and sat in the dark, and ate cold food. They didn't accept the explanation of the Chachomim, eg. Torah Sh'bal Peh, which explains that one can light a fire BEFORE Shaboos, and have enjoyment from it ON Shabbos.

This is one of the reasons the Chachomim instituted the Mitzvah of Hadlokas Nieros Shabbos - it is a mitzvah M'drabbonon - and also to eat chamin - food that has been kept warmed on a covered fire, that was lit before Shabbos - on Shabbos.

Quote:
SMELLY
MESSY
NAUSCIOUS
the only reason people make it is to give them something to do the whole week,
cholent has a special Shabbos flavor, after Shabbos, it doesn't. Famous story with Rabbi Yehoshua.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 10:05 am
It's not just cholent, TzenUrena. You can eat anything warm.

My plata turns off Friday night but Shabbos morning it turns on again, and I asked the rov what I am allowed to put on it.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 10:28 am
technically then, you are eating cholent...

yoyosma

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 11:55 am
I put in hot dogs because DD loves them in the cholent!

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 12:36 pm
We dont usually eat hot dogs, but once in a while I throw in a few, and it adds a great flavor 8) to the cholent...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus