Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
How to find guests

amother

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 9:45 pm
When I was first married, we lived "out of town". We had guests nearly every week. Either we invited friends or my husband would find someone in shul who needed a place to go. Growing up, we always had loads of company, too.

We moved to Boro Park a number of years ago, and I can count on my fingers the number of times we've had company since (except family visiting from OOT). Most of my friends don't use the eiruv, so they can't come. Those who could come, can't, because there is some kind of rule here that couples dont' get together (we have a bunch of kids, including teenagers, so I don't see why its a problem. We would never be alone).

On rare occasions my husband has found someone in shul to bring home, but usually he can't find anyone. We have some neighbors who always seem to have company. I asked them how they find them or to pass on anyone who needs a place who they cannot have. I don't mean to be picky, but the only ones that got referred to us were really crazy people or those from the halfway houses in the neighborhood.

I find that having guests really makes a difference in the house, in the children, in the Shabbos and in myself. Does anyone around here feel the same way? How do you find "normal" people who need a place? I particularly love kiruv and even called some of the kiruv places to see if they have people who need places for shabbos, but have had no response.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 9:49 pm
Someone here once mentioned this site
http://www.seeyouonshabbos.com/

In addition, why don't you contact Discovery and/or Aish Hatorah for leads?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 6:31 am
Speak to Bikkur cholim BP and chai lifeline about families or people that are in NY for medical treatment from eretz yisrael or oot.
We lived in BP in someone's basement and went to other people sometimes for meals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics