Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Which mixer
1  2  Next

bluesclues

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 7:38 pm
so im finally in the market for a mixer ive been using a hand mixer till now but want to move on to bigger and better
I need something good for cakes cookies....
I do make challa but do it by hand
which machine should I get make and model please
kitchen aid, bosch, viking or something else
thank you

rivk241

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 7:44 pm
I have been using the bosch for over 10 years- I'm sure they have a newer model now . I am very happy with this! I would go for the bosch

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 7:49 pm
If it's just for cakes and cookies, it won't cost a lot. (I occasionally even use my food processor!) If you need a heavy duty motor for challas and breads, it will cost hundreds.

bluesclues

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 7:53 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
If it's just for cakes and cookies, it won't cost a lot. (I occasionally even use my food processor!) If you need a heavy duty motor for challas and breads, it will cost hundreds.

im not worried abou the cost I want the best

be a mentch

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:06 pm
I would definitely say go with the Bosch I have it for quite a number of years without any problems at all

Bella:D

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:20 pm
I would absolutely go for the kitchenaid!,
first of all it is so beautiful,
second of all it is amazing!
I can set it to run and it works all by itself and you can go to the fridge and get the next ingredient or whatever you need to do.

nylon

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:43 pm
If challah/bread making is your main goal: Magic Mill. It's definitely best for bread dough but is not so good for cakes, whipping cream etc.

If you want a versatile mixer for all baking: KitchenAid. I strongly recommend the Professional 600 if you plan to bake challah because it can handle more flour. I've also heard good things about the new Cuisinart mixers, but I've never used one.

My issue with the Bosch is the central spindle which means 1) no planetary action (whip moves one way, the shaft moves the other) and 2) ingredients cannot come together in the middle. Fine for doughs, poor for lighter batters, cream, and eggs.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:45 pm
Bosch
(KitchenAid only if you have room for it to always sit on your counter. It is HEAVY to have to keep hauling it out of the cabinet.)

bluesclues

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 9:26 pm
thanx
I still dont know what to get
any other thaughts

wwmom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 9:43 pm
Get the Bosch if you need it for challah.
The kitchen aid is not powerful enought (even the 6 qt) and the motor will die if you use it for challah. I know lots of pple. that had the same issue with it.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 9:47 pm
The best? What about the best for you? what do you need to start 2nd guessing for? Buy at a store that you trust, that gives you a good deal. Toivel it, use it, and be happy with it.

I buy everything at Century 21 since it's discount, otherwise it's Target, or BBB with their 20% coupon. Rarely at Macy's, although that's a consideration.

I'd suggest Amazon except the mixer must be heavy to ship.

bluesclues

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 10:24 pm
Hi. Op here
I'm really not sure what to get. I will not be using it for challa because I do mine by hand and really enjoy it

I need it Mainly for cakes and cookies

cookielady

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 10:41 pm
bluesclues wrote:
Hi. Op here
I'm really not sure what to get. I will not be using it for challa because I do mine by hand and really enjoy it

I need it Mainly for cakes and cookies
If it's for cake and cookies, I would say go with a 6 quart kitchenaid. Just keep in mind it really won't do the trick for challa dough. Mine started over heating when trying to mix a half batch of challa dough.

qeenB

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 11:22 pm
I love the bosch. its also much lighter than the kitchen aid with a more powerful motor.

familytime

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 12:18 am
for cookies and cakes the BEST is the kitchenaid!
that is what Martha Stuart uses Yes

nylon

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 12:25 am
If it's for cake and cookies, definitely a KA, though you could get away with a 5 quart for that.

I haven't had a problem with kneading challah in my KA (or in my previous one--which I gave to my mother when I married and left the US). I do know that if you don't pay attention to the rules (speed #2 only with the dough hook) your chances of burnouts increase exponentially. I've heard stories of people who claimed to follow the rules and had their motors fry, but I've been okay with mine--and I bake too many cakes to be happy with a central-spindle motor. I knead my dough in smaller batches if necessary.

Cooks Illustrated says this about wattage:
"We did wonder whether statistics listing power meant anything. Only a few mixers list output wattage (horsepower); most list input power (wattage). Output wattage is the amount of power the motor actually produces—which flows out of the motor, moves through the mixer arm, and, ultimately, smacks the ingredients around. Input wattage is simply the power that flows from the electrical outlet into the mixer's motor. What does input wattage tell you about the power of a mixer? Absolutely nothing—it's purely a marketing gimmick."

chocolatemilk

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 1:31 am
chocolate moose wrote:
The best? What about the best for you? what do you need to start 2nd guessing for? Buy at a store that you trust, that gives you a good deal. Toivel it, use it, and be happy with it.

I buy everything at Century 21 since it's discount, otherwise it's Target, or BBB with their 20% coupon. Rarely at Macy's, although that's a consideration.

I'd suggest Amazon except the mixer must be heavy to ship.

target has the kitchen aid on sale this week for a really good price I forget what it is but I readit in the paper this morning.
I bought my kitchen aid on sale on amazon and the shipping was free I also got a free yrs subscription to bon appetit magazine

nylon

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 1:42 am
IIRC Target only sells the 4.5qt KA which is not worth buying. I strongly recommend buying the Professional series as it has all metal gearing--the Artisan has plastic.

I got mine on Amazon for a great price (30% off) but we have Prime so I don't know how much extra shipping would run.

Hooray

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 2:22 am
I actually hate my bosch for cake and cookie dough...I fing that it really doesn't do the job. It does a great job for challah though. However, since you seem to want it primarily for cake and cookies, I would definately stay away from the bosch.

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 3:18 am
I have a 5qt Kitchen Aid. My mom has an Artisan (hers is closing in on 40 years old). We both do challah dough in the KA, no problem. Not enough for taking challah though. If I want to do that I have to mix it in two batches (too much flour). If you get a KA I highly recommend a splatter guard!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics