Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Need to lose weight, never dieted, what do I do?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:15 pm
hi ladies, I am new at this dieting thing. I B"H have 7 kids and have never struggled with weight before. I was 120 lbs when I got married. I am 5'7" tall.
since the kids were born, more and more weight has stuck to me, and now I weigh 150 lbs.
I never noticed it till now, but now I see it. I have a double chin at some angle in picctures, my stomach is saggy and not flat even when I suck in.
the rest of me is fine- I think!
I do not fit into my old skirts, (that I always did even with the extra weight)
I saw myself in pictures and I do not like what I see. but if you saw me today you would think I am thin, with a stomach.

how should I lose weight? I have never dieted or done excercise in my life, ever. I don't even know where to start. I love eating and making good food and baked goods. I ahve never needed to wathc what I eat, and I don't even know what to not eat!
can you help e figure it out?

Ronit

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:40 pm
When you figure it out- Please let me know.

Ronit

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 11:42 pm
Seriously now.

The main thing is excercize & more excercize & more.

Of course you should be watching what you eat too. What works for me is no carbs & sugar at all. Once I'm doing that the rest is easy.

The problem is when I start giving myself leeway.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 12:05 am
I think you are doing pretty good. 7 kids and 150?
I wish

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 4:51 am
here are a few simple steps:

1. drink 8 cups of water a day
2. exercise.
3. try and stop snacking on junk food.
4. if 3 doesn't work, reduce portion sizes.
5. eat more veggies, less carbs and protein.

weigh yourself weekly and see how you are doing. you can join ww if you want to help keep you on track.

you might want to do specific exercises to target your stomach, especially ones meant for postpartum women. Something like Mummy Tummy by Julie Tupler.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 9:44 am
whats this obsession with being skinny? so you had 7 kids and have a little tummy- boohoo.
you should be proud- thats your only problem?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 9:54 am
How old are you & what does your dr say? Has he done your thyroid and blood pressure numbers?

It's good for everyone to cut down on sugary junk foods and exercise, but the number on the scale is only one indication of health, not the total picture.

I didn't have to diet until I turned 40 and developed an underactive thyroid, but I doubt that's your situation.

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
whats this obsession with being skinny? so you had 7 kids and have a little tummy- boohoo.
you should be proud- thats your only problem?

She didn't say she's obsessed! But she did say she saw herself in pictures and doesn't like what she sees. It's important for a woman to be comfortable with her body. She's asking for advice- not judgement. I can totally relate!

Try mypyramid.org. You enter your weight and height. It tells you how many calories you need to eat per day to either lose or maintain your weight. You enter what you eat, and it keeps track of the calories for you. It similar to the Weight Watchers method.

louche

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 10:41 am
You don't sound overweight to me, you sound as if you're getting older...so who isn't? It's not reasonable to expect your waist after KA"H 7 pregnancies to measure the same as it did when you were a kallah.

You can't spot-reduce. Are your double chin and belly pooch flesh or skin? If flesh, they will be fairly firm, in which case, yes, exercise a bit more and eat a bit less and in time they will vanish. Your belly could also be from flabby muscles stretched out by pregnancies. Do some crunches every other day and see if that helps. If your sagginess is from skin that has stretched from pregnancies (belly) or response to gravity (chin), only plastic surgery can change that.

I second MyPyramid.gov. Or just cut out the junk food, or second helpings, or one slice of bread a day for a while.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 5:54 pm
thans for the advice- I will check out the website. I paid attention today, I snack on whatever I find more than I eat. cake pringles- its easier than eating a proper meal. so I think that will have to go.
I need to excersie I see- is it better at home or in a gym?
I could drop off the baby by a babysitter- then find a gym to go to.

thanks miami mommy- I am not obsessed, I just don't like what I see I still look normal, but I don't like the sags. and I gave myself a good pinch everywhere I think it is big- and its all hard. under my chin, my arms, my stomach is also hard(when I pinch)
so hopefully there is hope!
keep the advice coming.

if I continue these eating habits- can excersice alone make a person loose weight?

Reality

Post Tue, Nov 24 2009, 6:11 pm
[
if I continue these eating habits- can excersice alone make a person loose weight?[/quote]

Yes & No. If you really have been inactive & now you exercise heavily yes you will lose weight. But you should start off more slowly b/c it is healthier. Exercise will give you a better shape which maybe is more your problem than the actual number on the scale. 150 pounds for a woman of your height isn't overweight. What you really need to do is start an exercise routine with cardio & resistance (weights). Also very important is stressing eating healthy food (up your fruits & veggies, eat only whole grain etc..) If you follow this you will lose some weight but your figure will improve dramatically!! Best of Luck!!

louche

Post Wed, Nov 25 2009, 12:33 pm
Probably the best exercise thing you can do if you have a baby is take the stroller and go out for a nice long, brisk walk. Both you and the baby will get fresh air and a new perspective, and you will burn more calories from pushing the stroller than you would by walking alone--and it's way more fun, and easier, than walking with a loaded backpack!

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 12:02 am
im 5 7 and am dying to kno wha I will look like at 120! can u send me a pic without ur head so I can see??

Marz613

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 2:36 am
go to a nutricianist who can give you a healthy diet. you will lose the weight in no time. but you will also need to excersize. good luck.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 9:24 pm
OP here- I realize that I cannot diet- I have no willpower and eat whatever I want.
but I can start excersizing!
and I did!
I joined curves, and go every day. hubby is really glad I am getting excersize (he doesn't care if I lose weightm jsut wants e to be healthy)
so I 've been going for a few weks, and I weighed 159 when I started, now its 157. can it be I lost so fast?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise