Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Large classes

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 5:33 pm
How do you handle the fact that your little one is one of 20-30 children in a class? My little one is still little not in school yet but I'm a teacher and I know what it means to teach 25-30 kids. I try my best but there's no way I can actually give the best chinuch to each one. When I went to school we had 15 kids and it was incredible. Where I live no school has that. I'd like to hear from you parents-- how do u manage this???

Motek

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 5:47 pm
20-30 is quite a range!

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Dec 29 2005, 11:12 am
well you're right Motek-- the range is more like 25-35 which is also a large range but maybe I'm old fashioned but I believe anything over 15-20 kids in a class is too much.

raizy

Post Mon, Jan 02 2006, 9:52 pm
believe it motek my kids have 25 and 26 kids in their class. only the youngest class they try to keep it 15 kids per class but only for one year. I am scared to think how many kids he will have next yr . 25-30 kids Sad

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Jan 02 2006, 11:33 pm
In addition to teaching I occasionally sub. Well, whaddya know I got a class with 34 kids!!!! (5th grade) It's absurd-- u pay crazy tuitions and u'r kid is lost in the shuffle. Twisted Evil

ektsm

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 8:30 pm
That's a huge class. How did you manage it?

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 3:13 am
Those of my children who are in large classes have to make it on their own. Their teacher has no time for them. Twisted Evil No time to answer my eighth grader's questions on the Gemara. No time for remembering to choose a child who hasn't had a turn yet to recite the passuk....etc.

But I've had a child in a small class, who was also neglected by a teacher. If a child is getting marks below what should be expected for her ability, a teacher should spend the time to try to figure out what's going on with her. To take the time to speak to her, gently or firmly as needed. Take the time to call a parent out of genuine concern for the child, for the parents. to help pinpoint the strengths and weaknesses, make suggestions.

One of my childrens' schools has a policy that is self-defeating. They don't give out teachers phone numbers. You have to leave a message in school, so the teacher can call you back. (whenever that will be. usually when YOU are not available.) I think that's inconsiderate. Teachers have to make themselves available, of course not at all hours, but at certain times to speak to parents.

ektsm

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 8:00 pm
You have to work wiht each individual child. If your child isn't right for that class you hvae to asked to be switched.

roza

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 8:11 pm
Those with children in large (24-30) classes in elementary grades- are there any teacher assistants in class?

shalhevet

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 2:28 am
deleted

Last edited by shalhevet on Mon, Feb 20 2017, 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:03 am
mummyof6 wrote:
LOL!
25-30 in class. I wish...
Here up to 40 is legal and my daughter in 1st grade BY has 41 in her class this year ...

that's horrible!!

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:04 am
roza wrote:
Those with children in large (24-30) classes in elementary grades- are there any teacher assistants in class?

NO!!!!!!

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:06 am
SaraYehudis wrote:

One of my childrens' schools has a policy that is self-defeating. They don't give out teachers phone numbers. You have to leave a message in school, so the teacher can call you back. (whenever that will be. usually when YOU are not available.) I think that's inconsiderate. Teachers have to make themselves available, of course not at all hours, but at certain times to speak to parents.

I teach in a school that has the above policy. I happen to give out my tel number and am there for my students and their parents 24 hours a dya. However, I do understand the policy and I do understand that for most teachers giving out their number means being harrassed many times at home. In my school teachers return calls that day.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 9:06 pm
mummyof6 wrote:
LOL!
25-30 in class. I wish...
Here up to 40 is legal.

Ah, memories of my childhood...

Tovah

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 9:15 pm
we were 28 in a class and I felt that if I need to ask a question my question was ans. and if I needed help the teacher was their after class.
all depends on the teacher. but I do have to add this was in forth grade and up. before that their were more girls and we were split 15 and 16 in our grade.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children