Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Soup for controlling calorie intake

supermama2

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:08 pm
What do you think about a hearty veggie/bean/pareve or not soup for a meal or two every day? Of course snacks would be fruit Wink Would this work for a nursing mother too? TIA

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:12 pm
Well, it has vegetables and beans for protien but you still need other foods like calcium, iron, fiber, more then just the soup. You can make it one meal.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:15 pm
I think it would be fine for a meal here and there, but personally I don't stay full from just a hearty soup. I get hungry within an hour or two.
What I do when I am dieting is make a totally fat free unlimited veggie soup, and I nosh on it during the times that I usually get hungry in between meals (late afternoon, before supper.)

supermama2

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:18 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Well, it has vegetables and beans for protien but you still need other foods like calcium, iron, fiber, more then just the soup. You can make it one meal.

Good point...what if the soup is eaten with a big fat ( not literally ) salad? You would get iron, calcium and fiber.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:27 pm
You can eat salad with other protien like nuts or cheese or fish for lunch with some whole grain like ww bread or rice cakes and eat the soup for dinner.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:45 pm
Even when I eat a very nutritious and filling soup, I still feel (mentally) like all I had was soup and like I am missing something... which can make me start grazing through the pantry and fridge. If you don't feel like that, it could work. Me, I like just having a light veggie soup available daily to supplement my meals or be a snack. WW 0 point soup is terrific for this.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 5:51 am
having a bowl of soup before a meal is supposed to help in weight loss. I read a peice about a study where they gave participants soup and then meal and other participants the same ingredients as in the soup and the same meal. the ones who had soup lost more weight.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 10:40 am
I use the Classic chicken soup recipe from the purple Lub cookbook, without the chicken, then either just eat the broth or blend the entire soup.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 10:45 am
My most successful weight loss was when I ate a bowl of soup and smoked turkey sandwich (or a different type of low-fat, low cal sandwich) every night for dinner. I'd also eat a bowl of soup for lunch with a bean burrito, or something equivalent.

Soup is great because (when made right) it's low calorie and very filling.

Soups I usually make:
Pumpkin Sweet Potato
Sweet Potato Cauliflower
Pea
Vegetable
White Bean

louche

Post Tue, Jan 05 2010, 11:07 am
Soup is good food, and an excellent way to get more veggies into you without making you feel as if you're turning green and leafy yourself. If you puree the soup it's thicker and the veggies disappear, if that matters to you.

However, I would not have soup as a meal by itself, but as part of a meal, usually as an intro. You can make a soup into a complete balanced meal with veggies, beans or peas, a whole grain like barley or rice, and milk, soymilk, or cheese, but that kind of defeats the purpose of making a nice big but low-calorie diverse meal for dieting, does it not? It feels like more food when served in multiple courses. If you have a one-bowl meal, then that's what you have: one bowl. Have a soup loaded with veggies, and a scoop of pasta, and a scoop of beans or tuna, and a glass of milk or slice of cheese, and a salad, and you have a meal that feels like a meal.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 10:45 am
can someone post a low calorie healthy soup. I am plump and NEED some help here.
Thanks!
Or I could just eat chocolate.
Somehow soup seems like a smarter choice.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 10:50 am
ValleyMom wrote:
can someone post a low calorie healthy soup. I am plump and NEED some help here.
Thanks!

How about chocolate soup? Kidding.
Can you google WW 0 point soup? It's very low cal and delish. If for some reason you can't find it online I will try to post it later when I have more time.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 10:51 am
ValleyMom wrote:
Thanks!

do you have the purple Lub copokbook? Usdwe the classic chicken soup recipe.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 10:52 am
valleymom-there are a few low calories soup recipes like squash soup, mushroom barley soup, regular vegetable soup, tomatoe soup, tomatoe cabbage soup, broccoli soup...

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 10:55 am
This is a great site for veggie related recipes. . . and tons of soups!

http://kitchen-parade-veggieve......com/

racheleezzy

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 10:57 am
WW makes a great cabbage/vegetable soup thats very lown in points.... you can also just saute carrots...mushrooms.. celery..zuchinni......onion...and instead of water ii sometimes buy the low sodium broth in the box but check the calories and fat content just in case, some are made with very little calories.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 11:06 am
ValleyMom wrote:
Thanks!
I make a fat free unlimited vegetable soup. Real diet food, but it satisfies me.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 3:23 pm
defygravity-can you post the recipe for the sweet potato cauliflour soup? it sounds so yummy!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise