Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Sushi

It'sMe

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 11:46 pm
Anyone got a recipe for sushi, with vegetables or fish. I bought the rice and nori but I've got no clue how to make it. Thanks

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 03 2010, 11:47 pm
The bag or container of sushi rice should have an exact recipe of how to prepare the rice.

mimismile

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:00 am
there are quite few threads about sushi . you should do a search.

Mamish Mama

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:08 am
Yummy yummy, I love sushi!!!

The way I make it is as follows:

Cook rice according to package directions ( FYI: I usually get 6 rolls per 2 cups dry rice)

While rice is cooking prepare veggies, fish, etc. You can use avocado cut into strips, cucumbers, shreeded carrot salad, our kosher market sells frozen tuna that is sushi grade so I use that as well as shreeded imitation crab that I mix with wasabi and mayo to form a salad like consistancy. You can also use smoked salmon with parve or real cr cheese and avocado. Be creative, you can't go wrong.

This is a wonderful video and it is almost exactly how I roll my sushi. The only real difference is that I spray PAM on my fingers to keep the rice from sticking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hy55UIjaqY

GOOD LUCK!!

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:09 am
1) I always use a rice maker
2) 3 1/3 cups rice to 4 cups water
3) when rice is cooked, take it out of ricemaker and immediately put it in a flat, nonreactive dish. sprinkle 6 tablespoons of seasoned rice vinegar on it and mix through with a cutting motion.

we love making hand rolls and also make them as a buffet on shabbat so everyone can put their own choice of fillings together. way less work as well. google hand rolls.

Mamish Mama

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:17 am
also, a very good video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....lated

It'sMe

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 10:38 am
thanks a lot everyone I'll watch the clips and make it for supper tonight I'm sure my dh will be thrilled LOL

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 11:04 am
It's Me, you'll need a few other things, notably rice vinegar, soya sauce, wasabi, as well as the bamboo mat for rolling if you're doing the roll.

Rice: make sure you rinse it several times so that the water is more clear than milky white. Soak in the correct amount of water (which differs depending on whether you use a pot or a rice cooker) for at least 30min. Don't refrigerate the cooked rice, otherwise it will harden.

Seaweed: if you look carefully, there is a shiny side and a rough-ish side. put the shiny side down the bamboo mat. Rice/fish/veggies go on the rough side. You'll need a sharp serated knife for cutting the rolls, you may have to wet/clean the knife between the rolls.

Actually I usually cut the seaweed into either halves and quarters and make hand-roll cones. If using raw fish, make sure it's super fresh (ask the fishmonger if it's "sushi grade"), and NEVER leave it overnight.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:46 pm
freezing fish kills parasites as well. what I typically do is buy a large piece of salmon at my local vietnamese store (did you know that ou says that buying orange fleshed fish even without skin is ok?) anyways, I buy big hunks, take it home, skin it, filet it, bone it and freeze it in reasonable sized portions so that I can use it either for cooking or for sushi, my choice. I always buy sushi grade salmon and always indicate to the fishmonger that it is for sushi. even the guy who speaks no english understands what I want it for and makes sure he gives it to me sushi grade as long as I say so...

dolphin

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 12:54 pm
I don"t have a recipe. But I looove sushi-FOR THE RECORD> It is healthy and filling. I only buy fresh Sushi-not from a grocery or supermarket. Only from a fish store or real good restaurant.

It'sMe

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 3:21 pm
Thanks Loads everyone, Do you think it can work without the mat for rolling? And where do you pick those things up?

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 3:27 pm
you can do it without the mat, but you might want to use a piece of folded parchment or something. I used to buy mine at the vietnamese stores but even my regular grocery has it now...

Mamish Mama

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 3:59 pm
I have also seen the mats in the international section of the regular grocery store and our kosher grocery store sells them as well.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jan 04 2010, 5:31 pm
If you don't have the bamboo mat, you can still use a plastic film (albeit flimsy). Probably the easiest one is stick to hand cones (a bit like a wrap/tacos).

It'sMe

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 6:03 pm
Help I can't find the rice vinegar in any store. Can I make it with regular vinegar?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 06 2010, 6:32 pm
You can, but it doesn't taste the same. (Use 3 parts white vinegar mixed with 1 part water.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics