Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Offering to buy a house that isn't n the market
Previous  1  2

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 12:54 pm
Quote:
How is it insulting? I'd take it as such a compliment.

I know an older woman who lives alone with a home attendant. She is insulted when people offer to buy her house. She thinks people feel she shouldn't have a house because she is old. Someone non-jewish can think people don't think they belong in the neighborhood...

amother

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 7:49 pm
Quote:
About the house that is too small: Do you like it & is there room to add on?

It's a small house, small lot, so garage and more.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 7:51 pm
OP again, thats NO garage. and the rooms are really small.
basically, I'm still in the same position with nothing to buy.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 9:56 pm
At what point do you cross into lo sachmod?

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
as someone who spent over a year looking for the perfect home in the neighborhood we wanted to settle in, MVHO is that this letter is in very, VERY poor taste.

Ask a real estate agent what they think, but in general, I think there is a certain etiquette to home buying. this is not like walking over to someone and saying, "I like your shoes, where did you get them," its like walking up to someone and saying "I like your shoes, can I buy them, and you can go home barefoot."

homes cost in the hundreds of thousands to the millions. it is the biggest purchase most people ever make in their life. likewise, it is the largest SELL most people make in their life. if they were thinking about selling, there would be a "for sale by owner" sign (since those are free, for sale w/ agent x costs $ and effort) on their lawn, to get an idea of anyone being interested.

just because they are "not frum" and its a "frum block" doesnt mean they want to move!! that is the funniest thing I have heard on imamother in a long time, sorry to be so blunt.

my grandparents live in Boro Park, and there are two families on their block who are not jewish. they have both lived there for 50 or 60 years. Just because the block is "all frum" except for them, doesnt stop them from putting up xmas decorations, or enjoying their neighborhood. and rightly so, since they are nice neighbors, courteous, and have lived there for a very long time.

I've gotten letters like that and apparently it is common in frum neighborhoods. I've never taken offense - why should I? If I *was* thinking of moving, it would be a great chance to sell without an agent, without having to fix up for the sale, no showings... It's how a number of people I know got their houses. I don't see this as a problem at all.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 10:13 pm
Mitzvah Giraffe wrote:
Quote:
How is it insulting? I'd take it as such a compliment.

I know an older woman who lives alone with a home attendant. She is insulted when people offer to buy her house. She thinks people feel she shouldn't have a house because she is old. Someone non-jewish can think people don't think they belong in the neighborhood...

And I think this woman sounds like she's got issues.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating