Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Making Pesach for the first time
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:26 pm
Ruchel, you also wrote on another thread that you have a cleaner - how many days a week? And how many hours a week do you work? And your daughter is in "cheder" lol. And maybe your husband helps more than those whose husbands are out all day at kolel/ work?

You don't have to answer any of my questions - just realize there are lots of factors that might make it easier for some people than others.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:30 pm
Really, both.

A) Sometimes the clothing has been worn but is clean enough to be worn a second time before washing. This clothing can't be considered Pesach-dik because it isn't clean enough for Pesach. So it can't go back in a Pesachdik drawer.

B) Pockets that aren't cleaned properly for Pesach (the way we consider it cleaned for Pesach) can't go into a Pesachdik drawer.

If I were to put not-Pesach-cleaned clothes into the Pesachdik drawer, I'd be cleaning the drawer again.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:33 pm
GR wrote:
Really, both.

A) Sometimes the clothing has been worn but is clean enough to be worn a second time before washing. This clothing can't be considered Pesach-dik because it isn't clean enough for Pesach. So it can't go back in a Pesachdik drawer.

B) Pockets that aren't cleaned properly for Pesach (the way we consider it cleaned for Pesach) can't go into a Pesachdik drawer.

If I were to put not-Pesach-cleaned clothes into the Pesachdik drawer, I'd be cleaning the drawer again.

Two ideas:
If it's clean enough to re-wear, don't put back in drawer, but leave out on top of dresser and let it be used the next day until it really needs to be washed...

Alternatively, have one drawer that isn't pesach cleaned, and use it for re-wearable clothing, so you'll only have one drawer left right before Pesach. You might have to mix up a few boys' sizes in it, but it's probably for only a few items.
(Right now, we have a bin of both of my boys' pajamas combined since we ran out of drawer space. It's a little annoying, but it can work for a month or so before Pesach...)

busydev

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:33 pm
I think that this is a myob situation. if you are able to help them out and host great if not thats also great. you can say only for these days or whatever you want. if they want to go to a strangers house to sleep with their kids thats their problem- not yours. if they are comfortable asking that is their problem not yours. The only thing that is your problem is decideing if you want to host them. and feel free to say I have not yet decided what I am doing for pesach, call me back after purim. (the only reason they are asking so early is because they want to find places- and yes some people do plan pesach months in advance. I knew what I was doing by succos (going to parents and inlaws- its our first pesach, no kids)

and my family went away for pesach every year until I was 13 (im the oldest). We lived oot and my granparents (both sets) were in nyc and all my cousins live in nyc or oot in a different city then we do. so pesach and succos were the only times we were able to see family. so aside from 'making pesach" being a big undertaking (or not depending on who you ask) maybe they like getting to spend family time. and how do you know they dont cook. my mother and aunts as well as us cousins always helped out for yoomtov when we went to the grandparents.

We live in a diff city then our parents so we will prob be going to them for a while- until it gets to hard. we spend half of yom tov in one city and the otehr half in a second city- a 4-5 hr drive apart.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:46 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
GR wrote:
Really, both.

Two ideas:
If it's clean enough to re-wear, don't put back in drawer, but leave out on top of dresser and let it be used the next day until it really needs to be washed...

Alternatively, have one drawer that isn't pesach cleaned, and use it for re-wearable clothing, so you'll only have one drawer left right before Pesach. You might have to mix up a few boys' sizes in it, but it's probably for only a few items.
(Right now, we have a bin of both of my boys' pajamas combined since we ran out of drawer space. It's a little annoying, but it can work for a month or so before Pesach...)

I was thinking if I should designate some drawers to stay Chametzdik and be sold for Pesach, and the rest of them I would clean.
Last year I just didn't put the clothes away and it was pretty messy around here.
I would combine drawers, I just can't stand being disorganized.

ETA: I'm sorry OP that this is in your thread., I thought this was the other Pesach thread. I didn't realize this one was where someone posted a question.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:11 pm
is the surface you used to fold your laundry completely chometz free? were your hands chometz free? did your kids touch any of the clothing with dirty hands? it's not so clear cut.

that siad, I do my clothes drawers before purim still and dont rewash it. I make sure the table is clean when I fold laundry and put it away quickly.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:24 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Ruchel, you also wrote on another thread that you have a cleaner - how many days a week? And how many hours a week do you work? And your daughter is in "cheder" lol. And maybe your husband helps more than those whose husbands are out all day at kolel/ work?

You don't have to answer any of my questions - just realize there are lots of factors that might make it easier for some people than others.

I will answer, for emes.

I have a cleaner since only VERY recently. AS I SAID we never had any help for Pessach.
My cleaner only comes 6 h a week, it's not a live in even partial time at all!
I don't work, but I have been a student to a very advanced level and I am still definitely not idle.
My husband worked full time and learned for hours every day until recently.
I also have health problems most women do not have. Which explains the help I have.

You clearly do not know my situation.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 2:50 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
GR wrote:
Really, both.

Two ideas:

The bolded is what I do and it works fine for me.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics