Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Boss Troubles

amother

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 8:32 am
Advice is needed, wanted, appreciated.
Details omitted to prevent recognition.

I have a boss. My boss is a wonderful human being. My boss is not good at bossing. The specific trouble relates to my bosses inability to know when to put the oar in and when to take it out.

To be less allegorical; when my boss needs to give input the input is not there or barely there.
When My boss does not need to give input and when in fact input is not indicated, it is there.

How can I as the lowly worker get less when I need less and more when I need more? Input that is.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 9:09 am
Ask when you Do need, and find a tactful way to have him back off when you don't.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 9:20 am
Sometimes that tactful way is spending time to understand his input, saying things, like oh? interesting. I see. It's nice to have a different perspective. I'll have to think about that.

I had a nuts situation with a technical lead and our manager. They both had different priorities and ways they wanted things to be done. They weren't taking the effort to resolve things between themselves, so us at the lower level were left with confusion and stress.

a)I would bring us ALL together to try to get some key decisions made
b)if I saw a discrepancy, I'd go to my manager and say " I see this discrepancy. It would help me if you would both resolve your differences, etc. For now, I'm going to do x, y, z until that happens, ok?" (My manager always understood that, but still has/had trouble confronting and forcing a unified decision with his technical lead)
c)like CM said, just don't ask for input or bring up your project unless you want input.

BH I have a new manager and technical lead who are both a)better at their jobs and b)better at communicating to each other and to us at the lower levels what is expected, etc.

To get more when you need more, I'd schedule meeting time to get that input and come prepared with your ideas to do whatever it is--even if you think they aren't sufficient-- it's shows you are trying to solve this. Also, explain how not having a path right now will impact the project(s) in quality/time/scope. If there is another worker who has knowledge of what you are trying to use/solve, etc. invite them to get some input. Then, at the end of the meeting time, review what YOU have understood as the guidance from above back to him/her/them. Sending out a memo/email afterwards summarizing the decision or guidance to those involved in making this decision might be good in solidifying the decision made, and gives one more chance to have the person change their mind.

Again, try to keep the discussion specific to the issue at hand. If other advice is given that isn't directly related, nod, smile, write it down for the future, and continue to try to politely turn the convo back to the question you do have.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics