Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help! my baby is so big he gives me back ache

Flowerfield

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 2:54 pm
K`H my son is a strapping, portly, built like a tank baby of 6 (almost 7) months. 2 weeks ago when I weighed him he was 21lbs. I'm a small build and have become increasingly exhausted having to carry him around. He's a clingy baby too, doesn't like playing by himself for long and always find myself picking him up off the floor. Sometimes I also have to walk home carrying him as he gets upset in his buggy. Also bathtimes are very hard as I struggle to lift him out the bath whilst I'm knelt down bending over. All this lifting and carrying has destroyed my back and I feel shattered and achey and weak.

Has anyone got a suggestion of how to manage especially with the bathing.Its a small bathroom so I have to lift him out and straight into a towel that either I'm holding on my lap or sit him on a chair on top of the towel but its not very safe.

Baruch Hashem I'm not complaining, I have a healthy son and am very blessed. Its not his fault its my issues with my back, I just don't know how to get through until he's walking and crawling and doesn't need me so much.

Inspired

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 5:08 pm
Please do your back a favor and get a good back carrier.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 5:52 pm
My baby is also huge. He was a 9 pounder at birth and doesnt stop growing. I have a Oh Snap Babyhawk and its amazing, distributes the weight all over, so my back doesnt feel like its carrying a load of potatoes. Stay away from the Bjor and Snuggli carriers. Those put all the baby's weight on your back and shoulders, ouch!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 7:38 pm
my daughter was so fat I couldn't get her in and out of the baby swing at the park !!!

either your muscles will adjust or the baby will have to.

gold21

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 8:26 pm
my one and a half year old was very very chubby, but once he turned 1 his weight gain slowed down a lot. so now hes not soo fat, but he is still chubby. he was once way off the charts in weight, but now BH is on the charts (95th percentile though). I am petite and have a small build. I lift my baby with my bicep muscles, NOT my back. lift with your biceps. my once non-existent bicep muscles have learned to accomodate my son and are currently pretty strong. good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 11:10 pm
Oh, sure - my formerly chubby dAUGHTER Is now 20 years old and barely 100 lbs - once she started crawling and walking she slimmed down a lot.

Aribenj

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 2:16 pm
That was my son too. 20lbs by 4 months, 30 by 1!!! Needless to say, carrying him stopped being an option REAL fast.

He didn't fit in the bumbo chair and he used to flatten his bouncy seat with his weight. I had a little umbrella stroller I took with me EVERYWHERE. I mean, even to go from his room to the kitchen. also got a comfortable sling but he grew out of that pretty fast too.

The minute he figured out how to crawl (around 8 months) I let him get around that way and he would follow me around. and eventually he learned how to walk and his weight gain slowed down. (37lbs at 3.)

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 2:30 pm
ditto Inspired. I've been using a Mei Tai carrier for my 19 lb baby (6 mos old) and the only time my back hurts is when I DON'T take the time to use the carrier and hold her in my arms instead.

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
My baby is also huge. He was a 9 pounder at birth and doesnt stop growing. I have a Oh Snap Babyhawk and its amazing, distributes the weight all over, so my back doesnt feel like its carrying a load of potatoes. Stay away from the Bjor and Snuggli carriers. Those put all the baby's weight on your back and shoulders, ouch!

I've been wanting to speak to an Oh Snap user! I love my mei tai but I want to get a SSC to use too.
Do u mind PMing me?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics