Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Bringing a baby to a restaurant
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 10:33 am
Seraph wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
No one wants to hear a baby cry or kvetch, whether you're at a discount store or a fancy restaurant. If you can't leave the baby, stay home. You will all be better off.
Are you saying that people who have babies that might cry should never ever leave the house with their babies because their babies might cry and disturb other people?

house? don't leave your room, other people might enter your house and be bothered by your kids. Better yet, don't reproduce. Eventually the human race will die out and we won't be bothered by messy, snivelling babies any more.

melalyse

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 10:51 am
workingmom3 wrote:

To those that think I should have stayed home... well what can I say-you cant expect people with nursing babies to not go out. Personally I dont get annoyed when theres a baby there as long as the parents are making a decent effort to keep them quiet and to go out if necessary.

Whatever works for you. For me, it is not worth to go out if my baby is with me. When I have nursing babies I pump. But, if you have a good time with your baby - enjoy.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 10:17 pm
Its a problem when you go to a fancy restaurant and ur baby is screaming non stop. If I go out to eat with my husband Im not interested in hearing a baby screaming. I go out to enjoy peace & quiet. If your baby doesnt stop after a couple of minutes then you gotta take him/her out. As long as your mindful of the other patrons...................you shouldnt have a problem

MommyZ

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 10:35 pm
Raisin wrote:
Seraph wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
No one wants to hear a baby cry or kvetch, whether you're at a discount store or a fancy restaurant. If you can't leave the baby, stay home. You will all be better off.
Are you saying that people who have babies that might cry should never ever leave the house with their babies because their babies might cry and disturb other people?

house? don't leave your room, other people might enter your house and be bothered by your kids. Better yet, don't reproduce. Eventually the human race will die out and we won't be bothered by messy, snivelling babies any more.

When someone spends $200-300 for a meal for two they don't want to have to hear babies crying. I have a baby too and when I go out to eat I leave him at home.

Barbara

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 10:55 pm
There's no one-size-fits-all answer. Fancy restaurant, family restaurant, early, late, infant toddler, fussy, quiet.

In general, I can't see an issue with a baby in a sling, even at the fanciest restaurant, so long as baby is removed if she starts crying loudly. I certainly don't expect removal at the slightest snuffle, but its not fair to bother other diners with loud crying (or screaming by toddlers).

Strollers are big and take up a lot of space, especially in small intimate venues. Park them outside and either hold your baby (sling) or use a high chair.

Don't let your child run around the restaurant. There are waiters carrying hot food, and your child could be hurt. And, frankly, however cute your child, I'm not really interested in him when I'm eating dinner with my friends or family. Ditto walking over to other tables, leaning over the backs of chairs to peer at others, etc.

And whatever you do, do NOT change a diaper at the table, even if its just wet. Its disgusting. (While we're at it, make sure your older girls don't brush their hair at the table. I once demanded that another family be moved because of girls with long hair brushing it at the table. Ewwwwww.)

Barbara

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 11:01 pm
levial wrote:
I think its ok if you take responsibility that if the baby cries and disturbs others, that one of you leaves and walks the baby outside, goes to the car...the restroom, whatever you need to do. That means one of you may have cold food, but no cold stares from the other patrons.

I think it's unfair if you go, and the baby cries (and I know you said quiet, young baby, so it's not so much an issue) and the parents sit there, while you are trying to eat your romantic anniversary we never get out date night meal...

And for the record, sometimes I have taken DD and DH on a business trip (or DH has taken us) and we are in a town with great notable kosher restaurants. I have taken dd when she's 3 months, 6 months, 1 wiggly year, 18 walk me around months and so forth and now she's 4.5 and is welcome in any Manhattan overpriced but delicious gourmet restaurant. I do go "earlier" so dd is not in the middle of her bedtime, or even bathtime, even if it means dining at 5 or 6 when the place opens. I am willing to take the worst table. I am stocked with quiet toys that don't make loud noises when dropped, coloring items, books, and ask the wait staff to bring cucumbers, tomatoes, other kid-friendly food NOW with the menus...so DD is not starved. I have been known to save in a ziplock a hot dog or chicken nuggets from lunch, and feed her before we go, or right when we arrive. I have been known to take field trips to the restroom, the upstairs, downstairs, lobby or fishtank, to break up the sitting. I have been known to promise dessert and hold it ransom for good behavior (we can't get cake if you're going to raise your voice...)

In all of her 4.5 years, there was one meal where she had one yelp of the start of a tantrum and with swiss precision, I swooped up and took her outside. I told her in a whispering intense voice, stop crying or we wait for Abba here, do you want my help to calm down? (I held her and helped her get back in control) She nodded, calmed down and we walked in as if nothing happened. One older couple had to compliment us, what a nice job we did as parents and DD was (3yrs) INSULTED. "I'm the good girl and I'm doing a nice job!" she said petulantly. We all had a good laugh.

I'm not sure if you're giving the child outside food AT the restaurant. If so, please check with the manager first. AIUI from a friend who owns a restauarant, they could lose their kashrut certificate for allowing outside food.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 11:06 pm
Seraph wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

I didn't say that. I expect to see families at Target, for example. I don't WANT to nec. see and hear them, but I know it's going to happen.

Same for a restaurant. I know families will come. I don't want to hear them either. I would sit far away in order to give everyone privacy, if possible. HAS NOTHING TO Do with hate; more to do with quiet.

I like quiet !

workingmom3

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 8:45 am
ok- I also like quiet when I go out and so do I prefer to go out without my babies- thats my first choice. In this case it was not an option . I could either go with my baby or stay home so I chose to go with my baby- just wanted to know what other people would think. Thank g-d it worked out well

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 8:50 am
MommyZ wrote:
Raisin wrote:
Seraph wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

When someone spends $200-300 for a meal for two they don't want to have to hear babies crying. I have a baby too and when I go out to eat I leave him at home.

I wasn't referring to the resturant comment, but to the discount store comment. I probably wouldn't take a baby to a resturant charging that amount, but then again I don't think I would go to that sort of resturant anyway. (Unless someone else is paying)

But a tiny nursing baby should be fine...especially if you use your seichel and take them out if they start screaming. toddler, no. Unless maybe early in the evening, when it is very quiet.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 8:53 am
[quote="chocolate moose"]
Seraph wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

I didn't say that. I expect to see families at Target, for example. I don't WANT to nec. see and hear them, but I know it's going to happen.

Same for a restaurant. I know families will come. I don't want to hear them either. I would sit far away in order to give everyone privacy, if possible. HAS NOTHING TO Do with hate; more to do with quiet.

[quote]

so stay home, cook and eat at home, and order your stuff from target online. problem solved. No kids at work, no kids at home, look straight ahead when walking in the street and wear earplugs and you won't notice the kids around.

Perfect life.

(for you, not for me)

MommyZ

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 8:56 am
[quote="Raisin"][quote="chocolate moose"]
Seraph wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Quote:

so stay home, cook and eat at home, and order your stuff from target online. problem solved. No kids at work, no kids at home, look straight ahead when walking in the street and wear earplugs and you won't notice the kids around.

Perfect life.

(for you, not for me)

Some people are not rolling in dough and on the rare occasion when they go out to a fancy restaurant and spend hundreds of dollars on a meal they are paying for a certain ambiance which isn't improved by the sound of crying babies. I take no issue with crying babies almost all the time. I have a baby who cries a lot and adore him but I wouldn't impose him on a fine dining establishment.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 1:26 pm
Raisin wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
Raisin wrote:
Seraph wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

I wasn't referring to the resturant comment, but to the discount store comment. I probably wouldn't take a baby to a resturant charging that amount, but then again I don't think I would go to that sort of resturant anyway. (Unless someone else is paying)

But a tiny nursing baby should be fine...especially if you use your seichel and take them out if they start screaming. toddler, no. Unless maybe early in the evening, when it is very quiet.

I personally think that babies do not belong in a nicer restaurant. A pizza place, a burger place - fine. Anything nicer than that, it's just not appropriate. If you can't find a babysitter than stay home and cook supper.

DH and I were once at a nicer restaurant enjoying the food, ambience, and each other's company Smile. All of a sudden DH got quite an eyefull when some young chicky "whipped it out" and started nursing her baby right then in there at her table. Didn't bother going to the bathroom, or even a quiet corner, and the tables were all pretty close together! Suffice it to say we lost our appetites and I left the restaurant pretty ticked off that someone would have such nerve.

Leave your babies home and wait until a time when it can be just the two of you. OR enjoy a nice evening out at Kosher Delight!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 1:28 pm
Not all women would ever show their breasts in public, just because they have a baby.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 1:45 pm
sweetheart, I was not saying " all woman show their breasts in public therefore don't bring babies to restaurants"

I was merely bringing down my opinion on the matter and emphasizing it with an amusing anecdote.

I'm sorry if you didn't find it amusing and I'm sorry if I insulted "all women" by my post.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 3:10 pm
It is not appropriate to bring a noisy toddler or baby to a fancy restaurant. Part of what you pay for is the ambiance and the noise of the baby can easily ruin that.
Use your own judgment when it comes to your kids.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 3:38 pm
[quote="Raisin"][quote="chocolate moose"]
Seraph wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Quote:

Perfect life.

(for you, not for me)

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN !

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 3:45 pm
[quote="chocolate moose"][quote="Raisin"]
chocolate moose wrote:
Seraph wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Quote:

Perfect life.

(for you, not for me)

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN !

so there is no difference between taking a baby to target or a fancy resturant? to me there is. I expect to see babies and kids in a supermarket. A fancy resturant, usually not.

(if a resturant has high chairs as part of the furniture, it's obviously welcoming kids. They could easily say, sorry, no babies in here)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 24 2010, 3:58 pm
I'm just saying that I like quiet. It doens't matter where I am; I like it !!!

However, in Target, I know I'm not going to get it !!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette