Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Carriers?
Previous  1  2

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 8:01 pm
mobys do not lat as long as other carriers, and are not as versatile. While the web site says you can do a back carry, it really isnt that safe. ti is worth a try though, if you want to.

sugaray

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 8:31 pm
so what kind of wrap would you recommend for heavy babies that does last and is comfortable and easy to put on?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 10:05 pm
woven wraps are expensive but good. ive heard ring slings are good. I recently got a babyhawk mai tei and that is great

sugaray

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 10:04 am
what is the advantage of a babyhawk mei tai, which ties over a babyhawk oh snap which has buckles?
also, the one that buckles has a front buckle that goes right over your boobs which would not look too pretty on me so is there another option?

basically, my main issue is that my babies are so heavy and I have a bad back so I need something that is comfortable. my dh thinks that it is not possible for a baby carrier to be comfortable and they are all a waste of money. I would love to prove him wrong because I really want one!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 11:52 am
I love the way mei tais are so quick to put on, hold a lot of weight (I can wear my three year old in one), and are a cinch to get tied to the right size...where as buckles I always was fiddling with the straps and trying to loosen/tighten as needed...if I need to tighten the straps on a mei tai, I just retie...also takes up much less room in a diaper bag as it's all cloth...

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jan 22 2010, 1:44 pm
the oh snap is the same design as a tying mei tei, the difference is just the snaps-for people who like that better than tying. I happen to like tying, so that we can adjust based on clothing and who is wearing her more easily.

I also have some back problems, but I dont have any issues with the MT-it is great.
There may be a baby wearing group in your area where you can borrow a wrap for a small fee to see if it works for you

chatouli

Post Sat, Jan 23 2010, 9:47 pm
sugaray wrote:
does anyone know if this Moby wrap works well for a baby that is big and heavy?
also, how long does it take to wrap it each time you wear it? I think that if it took me a long time each time, id probably have no patience to do it all the time...

I got a Moby as a gift when my DS was a week old. The length of it and the tying procedure intimidated me to the point where I only began to try to use it in earnest this week (he is now about 7 weeks and is over 10 lbs.). I wish that I had begun using it earlier! I got the hang of putting it on pretty quickly and putting him in it a couple days later. It now takes me about a minute to put it on and another minute to get him in it.

DS loves the Moby and goes to sleep in it, which is a big deal for him. Usually the only way I can get him to nap is in his swing, with his paci, swaddled, with white noise (obviously problematic for Shabbos!). I put him in the newborn cradle position in the Moby and walk him around the apartment for five minutes and the kid is OUT! The instructions say it goes up to 35 lbs. but I have no experience with that. Nonetheless I find it very comfy and so does DS!

DovDov

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 2:38 pm
I used a Moby comfortably till 25 pounds or so, and the reason I stopped using it was I had a newborn who wanted to nurse all the time which was easier with a ring sling (I use the Maya semi-padded) (I didn't start using the Moby until #1 was 8 weeks old, by which time he nursed well enough that I could just pull my shirt up between the straps; with a newborn, I find I need to completely pull out my breast which is much easier to do tzniusly under a shirt and which in any case twisted the wrap so it wasn't comfortable afterward and needed to be retied. Tying takes a few moments, which matters a lot when your baby screams as much as mine did at being put down. The ring sling you just flip over your shoulder and you're good to go -- or, at least, you adjust with the baby in it). It's true that as the baby gets heavier the wrap starts to sag a little, but I learned that if I either (1) tied it tight against my body to begin with so the sag got it to the right place or (2) tied it normally but then tightened after five minutes or so it worked fine for hte rest of hte day.

The Moby was perfectly comfortable through week 39 of my pregnancy, btw, though I never dared use it for a back carry. I do use the Maya sling on my back, but I wouldn't have tried that until the baby was much older (I still carry my two year old occasionally). For routine back carries, I use a Mei Tai (also the Maya version, which is actually not ideal for back carries because the spreading straps work best in the front and I almost never wear it in the front; now that I know, I would have gotten one with padded straps).

I am quite plus sized, btw -- wear a 26-28 fwiw.

DovDov

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 2:42 pm
sugaray wrote:
what is the advantage of a babyhawk mei tai, which ties over a babyhawk oh snap which has buckles?
also, the one that buckles has a front buckle that goes right over your boobs which would not look too pretty on me so is there another option?

basically, my main issue is that my babies are so heavy and I have a bad back so I need something that is comfortable. my dh thinks that it is not possible for a baby carrier to be comfortable and they are all a waste of money. I would love to prove him wrong because I really want one!

How big is your baby? If the baby is old enough, a back carrier will do wonders for your back -- just think how much easier it is to walk around with a backpack on all day versus carrying the sack of books on your chest! I didn't start putting my kids on my back regularly until 6 months or so, and even then it took me a while to get totally comfortable doing it with no one around. I think the Ergo is the easiest to put on by yourself on your back.

daisy

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 3:35 pm
I don't care for wraps because I had a hard time with all the fabric and the wrapping. Some women swear by them, though.

Don't get a baby bjorn. If you want something like that, get an Ergo. It will be more comfortable, last longer (you can use it up to 40 lbs), wear it on your front or back, and it is better for the baby.

I got one new at this website: http://www.shophydra.com/category_s/153.htm and used this coupon: 15promovip for an additional 15% off.

I third (or whatever number) the recommendation for checking out: thebabywearer They have great advice, reviews, and stuff for sale.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics