Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Texting Etiquette question/vent

amother

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 10:06 pm
I have a friend who got very into the text messaging thing, and very often while I'm with her having a conversation (we walk together in the mornings) , she is busy texting. I find it very annoying and rude, I feel like she rather be having a coversation with her friend who she's busy texting than with me. Am I wrong for being annoyed? I've jokingly teased her abt. it in the past, but it didn't help at all, what should I do, it's really starting to bother me.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 10:19 pm
Tell her calmly and non-accusingly that it hurts your feelings when she texts while she's spending time with you and ask her to please refrain while your together. If she seems receptive to your request, but she is strongly in the habit, just remind her gently if she slips up a few times.

newToNeighborhood

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 10:29 am
Rude, rude, rude. I have no advice, but feel your pain. It feels like the person you're with doesn't really want to be with you... instead they'd rather be with the persone they're talking/texting to.

I hate it when I get together with friends and they have to answer every phone call that comes in. I liked life better before cell phones- where people couldn't "follow" me wherever I was. I also hate it when people ask "why didn't you answer?" I don't think we have to stop everything we're doing to answer the phone... I totally understand your feelings and don't think you're wrong at all!

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 9:12 pm
I disabled texting on my cell as I hate it. I also hate when those around me are busy texting instead of spending time with each other. But that's just how most of the world is, so I shrug and do my thing.

momto1

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 10:08 pm
edit

Last edited by momto1 on Thu, Jul 15 2010, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 10:57 pm
momto1 wrote:
I used to text all the time. Couple of months ago I was sitting at a sheva brochos with most of my cousins at one table. I was texting to a friend and when I looked up I realized that EVERY SINGLE PERSON at the table was texting. No one was talking to each other. That's when I realized it's going to far and stopped texting when being around other people. (unless it's important)
Thumbs Up

MidwestMommy

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 10:59 pm
I would try to have a polite conversation with her about it. I read recently in a magazine in one of those "ask miss manners" or whatever articles about this exact thing. The woman there said that it's rude and shouldn't be done when engaging in conversation with others. It's not always avoidable, but in this case it seems reasonable that you should be able to talk to her about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette