Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Efrat
Previous  1  2  3

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 3:42 pm
Ruchel wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
amother wrote:
Why are yiddish names considered a bad thing in Israel?

To some, traditions are galut symbols. As if we're not in galut without Mashiach anyway.

The Brisker rov said it's better to be in Galut among Jews than Galut among non jews.

I can think of worse things than calling a child Sara, Rivka, Avraham or Yitzchak.

I agree with him on that.

Sara, Rivka, Avraham and Yitzhak are all great choices. Unless your grandparents are Kreindel, Shayna, Getzel and Hersh and waiting to be named after.
but what is so bad with using a hebrew equivalent?

I agree it's not bad to use a Hebrew equivalent, although I guess I find it sad when nice Jewish names disappear because people find them not good enough anymore.

But the real problems (according to my tradition and my rav) begin when there is no Hebrew equivalent or usable translation, or when people "cheat" and use the initial thing.

I also have a hard time seeing how a Hebrew but history-less name (take, Snir) is better than a non Hebrew but traditional name (take, Sterna).
I dont understand. there are no absolute laws in naming a child. the parents can name a child and also choose how they will name a child however they want.
for example, we knew that we were going to be naming my daughter after my husband's two deceased grandfathers. we liked one name but the other was just not us at all, sooo, we decided to use the first letter of his name and chose a name that was similar. and when we told my in laws her name right after she was born, they guessed, oh, is that after grandfather so and so?

how can there be cheating or no hebrew equivalent? as I said, the couple is choosing the name however they want to.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 3:44 pm
So for instance, my grandmother's name was Shaindel. I could give the name Yaffa instead, but A. I wouldn't feel like I named after her & B. my dh would be upset because Yaffa is not an accepted name in his community. I'm not hot on the name Shaindel, but I would prefer to give her actual name.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 4:02 pm
Shevi 82, are KS residents allowed to have internet? (Is it just frowned upon, or somehow enforced?)

Some shtark Israeli Chareidi families will name a "later" kid (number 7 and on) a more "modern" Chareidi name like Efrat, Shira or Noa.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 4:07 pm
Quote:
how can there be cheating or no hebrew equivalent? as I said, the couple is choosing the name however they want to.

You can do everything you want.
Still many rabbis will tell you that just initial is not naming after, it's a way to honour the person without having to bother with giving a name you don't like or find outdated.

Some names have indeed no equivalent. Take Gnendel, we're not even sure what it means, so yeah... Or Tsherna. It means "dark". But Shchora? I don't think.

kalsee

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 1:49 am
This is just my opinion:

But I think one main reason that Yiddish names are not accepted in the Chareidi Litvish community in Israel (I'm not talking Chassidish, not sure it's as bad),
is because of the accent.

For example: say "perel".
now say "perel" with the Israeli "R" and "L". it just doesn't sound right.

same with shaindel, gittel, mirel, etc.

now if you shorten it, (shaindy gitty etc.) its better , but still, its not commonly used.
Same with double names. You will hardly ever find an Israeli called by 2 names. (Chaya Pesha? you must be American)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 10:57 am
I know a good number of charedi israelis with two or three names (named for someone). But I do know of parents who wanted to name, say, after a Yaakov Yisrael and had a Yaakov and a Yisrael...

chanchy123

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

The Brisker rov said it's better to be in Galut among Jews than Galut among non jews.

Aren't yiddish names Jewish too? Maybe my brain isn't working, but I don't understand.

How so?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 11:27 am
kalsee wrote:
You will hardly ever find an Israeli called by 2 names. (Chaya Pesha? you must be American)

I'm not sure if this is true. DS has several boys in his class with 2 names.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 11:27 am
chanchy123 wrote:
amother wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Aren't yiddish names Jewish too? Maybe my brain isn't working, but I don't understand.

How so?

Ever hear of a [gentile] named Shaindel?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
amother wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

How so?

Ever hear of a [gentile] named Shaindel?

A long time ago, Yiddish and Ladino names were borne also by non Jews.
Nowadays, most are not. Though you will find old non Jewish ladies called Gutta, Zlata, Buena... and certain names, including Hebrew, are widely used among the non Jews: David, Sarah, Lea, Ida, Adel, Clara, Rosa...

shevi82

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 3:04 pm
Quote:
There are plenty of more "modern" chareidim in KS; there are also Sephardim (who sometimes have different naming trends) and chutznikim (ditto).

There are not plenty of more "modern" chardim in KS they may be about 2% of the population.
It's true that sfardim have different name trends but today most litvish families give the names like shira and Efrat.

Quote:
Shevi 82, are KS residents allowed to have internet? (Is it just frowned upon, or somehow enforced?)

No it is not enforced. Anyway, the majority of the people here do not have internet. btw my dh doesn't touch the internet either.

anonymom

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 11:25 pm
Isramom8 wrote:

Some shtark Israeli Chareidi families will name a "later" kid (number 7 and on) a more "modern" Chareidi name like Efrat, Shira or Noa.

Interesting. How strong a trend is this? Why is that? Because they became less Shtark? Or because they used up all the names after grandparents and now have to come up with original names?

anonymom

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 11:35 pm
shevi82 wrote:
Quote:
Real" chareidi names are ones like Avraham, Yitzchak, Yaakov, Moshe, Yosef, Sara, Rivka, Rachel, Leah, Esther, Chana, Miriam etc - the ones traditionally used for centuries.

First of all efrat is a name from the Tanach it's written in divrei Hayamim that Efrat is Miriam (Hanivia)
"Sheparo Verabu Yisrael Al Yada"

Second of all I live in Kiryat Sefer I don't think you can get more charedi then that. My daughter has in her class 2 Efrats,2 shiras, Yael,tamar , Noa, Ayala,Michal ,shulamit. She doesn't even have one Rivka or Rachel (there is a Sari though)

Shalhevet and Shevi82 (refering to another of your posts about Efrat + Miriam), That is so interesting. I have always liked the name Efrat even though I do not know anyone with that name. I also love the name Ephraim. My daughter's name is Miriam and I never knew! Also, I have heard that the Miriam in Divrei Hayamim was a man.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Feb 10 2010, 6:55 am
anonymom wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Interesting. How strong a trend is this? Why is that? Because they became less Shtark? Or because they used up all the names after grandparents and now have to come up with original names?

Used up all the names and can now name what they like (as long as it's not really nonChareidi) Very Happy
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names