Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
"stainless look" appliances
Previous  1  2

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 2:31 pm
I had to replace my fridge and stove two years ago, and chose stainless. Right away, I missed the almond white ones I had before, the kitchen looked so much darker! and I have light cabinets, and it still made such a difference.

Also, I miss the magnetic surfaces. Now I have to stick notes on my front door, it's metal. Wink
But I am happy with the appliances themselves.

challi

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 2:41 pm
I have stainless look. I think they called it titanium or something like that. Its not just grey as some people are saying, but kind of like a brushed real metal. I really like it and it doesn't ever look dirty even when it really is.

ilovestrollers

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 2:44 pm
calli: you have them in all your appliances?

challi

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 2:49 pm
no the titanium one is just on the fridge but it did come like the same color but a different name for the stove too. But it was backordered 8 wks and I couldn't live without a stove for that long.

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 2:51 pm
challi wrote:
I have stainless look. I think they called it titanium or something like that. Its not just grey as some people are saying, but kind of like a brushed real metal.

I am sure different companies make different looking "stainless look". Mine was supposed to look like brushed metal, but I could tell that it wasn't. The door itself was some kind of metal, but over that it had what looked like a thin plastic finish that was colored to look like brushed metal (sort of like faux wood grain, but instead made to mimic metal).

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 9:04 pm
I have the stainless look, too, and I just don't see any mayhleh in it. It costs more so who needs that ?

challi

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 11:23 am
BinahYeteirah wrote:
challi wrote:
I have stainless look. I think they called it titanium or something like that. Its not just grey as some people are saying, but kind of like a brushed real metal.

I am sure different companies make different looking "stainless look". Mine was supposed to look like brushed metal, but I could tell that it wasn't. The door itself was some kind of metal, but over that it had what looked like a thin plastic finish that was colored to look like brushed metal (sort of like faux wood grain, but instead made to mimic metal).

No mine is real metal, just not stainless. The whole thing not just the handle.

ilovestrollers

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 11:25 am
Challi what brand appliances do you have?

challi

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 11:30 am
the fridge is LG. I really love it but it is also huge.

like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG.....34979

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 11:30 am
challi wrote:
BinahYeteirah wrote:
challi wrote:

No mine is real metal, just not stainless. The whole thing not just the handle.

Interesting.

challi

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 11:37 am
oh and my fridge also sticks to magnets so unlike stainless you can use magnets on my fridge.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 2:34 pm
I don't have any suggestions for the OP, but I would like to share my viewpoint on this. Why does simple back or white appliances not suffice? Any new kitchen looks beautiful...why the need for shining appliances to say:"Im fancier and richer." Thats what stainless represents--the need to show off. And if you cant afford it, get the stainless LOOK so ppl will THINK u are rich.

I dont mean to attack you, OP. But I think this is a very pitiful product of todays society.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
I don't have any suggestions for the OP, but I would like to share my viewpoint on this. Why does simple back or white appliances not suffice? Any new kitchen looks beautiful...why the need for shining appliances to say:"Im fancier and richer." Thats what stainless represents--the need to show off. And if you cant afford it, get the stainless LOOK so ppl will THINK u are rich.

I dont mean to attack you, OP. But I think this is a very pitiful product of todays society.

I'm not sure that today that's really true anymore. 10 years ago I would agree, but today I don't think ss is that much more expensive. I recently did my kitchen over and my husband wanted only black appliances since he was tired of seeing smudge marks etc. on our ss ones. I did get the ss look fridge since that is all they offered in the model I wanted (I will add that you can still see fingerprints, just not as much and it's much easier to clean, you don't need a special cleaner). All my other appliances are black. Having bought both over the years, I don't think the ss was much more $$. I think it's just a matter of preference. I like the ss look, my husband doesn't. I don't think it's a matter of sufficing. If you invest your time and energy into making something nice - ie a new kitchen - you should make it how you want it to look.
Someone once told me that she spends all day in her kitchen making supper, cooking shabbos etc. and she told her husband that to a certain extent this is her bais hamikdash. She needs it to be beautiful to her since this is where she cooks and prepares for shabbos and yom tov. You don't have to spend an astronomical amount but it should be someplace you want to spend time. Where you enjoy preparing shabbos, not just someplace you tolerate.

Tova

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:

Firstly, not every make and model come in all color options. I was looking for a gas range with Shabbos mode, 5 burners, and either convection or a smaller baking drawer for milchigs, and the Frigidaire model I got ONLY came in stainless. Because I got a matching over the range microwave I got a $200 appliance rebate from the company + a $50 rebate from Town Appliance in Lakewood which made it cheaper than other options I looked at that had black or white. I like the look of the stainless in my kitchen. Believe me, anyone who knows what block I live on knows that we are not trying give a fancy or rich impression Smile

And my old (white) fridge works just fine...so I've got my stainless appliances on one side of the kitchen and the old fridge on the other and I still think it looks fine! If the fridge should ever go I would replace it with stainless look.

Stainless look is not trying to be a stainless-wanna-be. It is specifically to minimize fingerprints and maintain a magnetic surface.

If I need a new stove anyways, and found something within our budget (and with a great rebate to boot) that I feel makes my kitchen look nice and I can cook and clean more b'simcha, I don't think this is a bad thing.

ilovestrollers

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 4:10 pm
Well I'll admit that I do like the sleek look of stainless steel, but I am in no way getting it to "show off" or have people think I am rich. That is just absurd IMO. Stainless has become very popular and most low end models come in this finish. I guess one could say it is part of kitchen design in this decade.

And as an aside: I was conversing with a sales associate about my issues with stainless steel and he said that companies are beginning to produce more stainless steel and less black and white and would not be surprised if there was an upcharge for black in the future.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen