Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Sensory - Therapy

amother

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 11:09 pm
My preschool aged son has been going to OT for sensory issues, movement craving, body awareness etc. I would love to hear from other ppl going through this. how long till you notice a difference? is your child difficult in other ways too? does taking care of the sensory problem help correct behavior problems? would like to hear from y'all (especially success stories...but any info would be nice)

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
My preschool aged son has been going to OT for sensory issues, movement craving, body awareness etc. I would love to hear from other ppl going through this. how long till you notice a difference? is your child difficult in other ways too? does taking care of the sensory problem help correct behavior problems? would like to hear from y'all (especially success stories...but any info would be nice)

It is very hard to answer the above, as sensory issues is SO individual. Some kids have issues with X but not with Y. So hearing about someone's horror or success story doesn't tell you much about your own child.

I saw tremendous changes with my son with therapies for his sensory issues.

SingALong

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 11:21 pm
if you are curious about the therapy that your child is receiving, you can ask your OT for articles/news sources/documents pertaining to the treatment she is giving your son. this may also include information given on specific cases, studies that depict success rates, etc. it would be helpful for you as a parent to be in the know of what OT your child is getting.

Aribenj

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 12:39 am
ds is dealing with this too. He's 3 now and he was recently evaluated. They said he was very borderline, but it was enough to give him behavioral issues (hugging his friends too tight and hurting them, holding cups in his hand too tight and breaking them, jumping down from couches, monkey bars etc and hurting himself, etc.)
He also has weak muscle tone, and he's doing therapy for that too.

In his case, it's just a delay, not a disorder, so he COULD catch up on his own. But in the meantime he's miserable, and the kids are scared of him. So hopefully this should help him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers