Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My almost two year old is sleeping a lot, should I be nervou

amother

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:25 am
My daughter, as of the last two weeks or so, has been sleeping many hours at night (could be from 8pm - 9am -- or this morning she has been sleeping from 8:30pm and it is now already 9:30am).

is this something that I should be nervous about? or is that much sleep ok? Should I wake her at some point or does it not matter?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:27 am
What kind of a day does she have? Does she nap? Is she in playgroup/daycare? Runs around a lot?

if you're worried, take her to the pediatrician and have them run a blood test. Check for anemia and vitamin deficiency.

I think 2 is the tail end of the major toddler growth-spurts. Give it a few more days and then see what happens.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:32 am
YESHASettler wrote:
What kind of a day does she have? Does she nap? Is she in playgroup/daycare? Runs around a lot?

if you're worried, take her to the pediatrician and have them run a blood test. Check for anemia and vitamin deficiency.

I think 2 is the tail end of the major toddler growth-spurts. Give it a few more days and then see what happens.
I am not sure why it went to anonymous posting. sorry about that. did not mean for that to happen Smile

anyway, she is in gan two days a week, but this began over pesach when she was not in gan. before this she would nap at least for two hours somewhere in the middle of the day, sometimes even three hours. now I am lucky to get her down for an hour in the late afternoon.
about the growth spurs, do you mean that this long sleeping could be because of that?

ETA: would you wake her up already? or should I just let her sleep?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:40 am
I know that Nati slept A LOT during his growth spurts, especially the 2 or 3 between a year and 2 years.

But it would only last 3 days or so.

Plonis

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:41 am
Why is that so much, especially if she's not napping as much? 2-year olds tend to need 12-15 hours of sleep every day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.....umans but I've seen other sources as well)

Could be she's just "consolidating" her sleep into the nighttime instead of having naps during the day. (But if the total amount is drastically different than she had before, it's worth looking into IMHO)

Last edited by Plonis on Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:42 am
YESHASettler wrote:
I know that Nati slept A LOT during his growth spurts, especially the 2 or 3 between a year and 2 years.

But it would only last 3 days or so.
would you let him sleep till 10 am? should I wake her already?

I guess I will see if it lasts much longer (ill give it this week) and if it continuies I will go to the doctor.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:45 am
I would wake her by now.

happyone

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 6:12 am
One of my children was very sleepy at a year 1/2 or so. I eventually did blood work which showed that she had active Mono or Epstein Barr (don't remember which) wasn't much to do about it, it made send though after that. It passed after a couple of weeks.

Grace

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 7:25 am
Maybe put to sleep earlier this week, b/c to sleep till 10am is really cutting into the day no?

Whereas a 6/7pm bedtime will result in a more normal wake up time - however if you are enjoying the sleep in, long let it last!!!

I dont think its anything to be particularly worried about - but if its something way out of the ordinary there is no harm checking with the DR.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 10:10 am
This is funny, pinkt today mendy has been asleep since 7 pm and it's 10:10 am! He did wake twice briefly to nurse and he is turning over in different positions so I know he's not deeply asleep but wow this takes the cake!

momofmultiples

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 12:45 am
My wonderful cutie twins at almost 3yrs go to bed at 7.30 and sleep until approx 8.30am. This morning we all overslept and they woke at 10.15

They are healthy happy and lively kids - and also great shluffers!!. I blame it on buying them quilted duvets (same as adult duvets in baby size) and good comfortable pillows - soon as they had that they really did appreciate a good nights sleep and stopped waking up many times a night - its all about comfort!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics