Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
I need a really sweet whole-wheat challah recipe

QT26

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 3:37 pm
My son can't eat white flour and white sugar (amongst other foods that he can't have). I need a really delicious challah recipe - 100% whole wheat flour and honey or brown sugar to make it really yummy. I tried the recipe from the purple cookbook and my son wasn't too impressed (I wasn't either...). And no bread-machine recipes please. Anyone?

MommyLuv

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 9:04 pm
I posted mine on a similar thread, u can do a search for it...
-got the recipe from a shlucha that I worked with- been baking it for over 2 yrs, all whole wheat and it calls for sugar but honey works great. its a great recipe...pm me if u need any help finding it.

sunflower mom

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 1:34 pm
Easy whole wheat challah (Spice & Spirit)
4 cups warm water
3 tbsps. dry yeast
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
4 eggs
12-13 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp coarse kosher salt
2 tbsp cornmeal
Glaze: 1 egg - beaten & poppy seeds

Pour water into large mixing bowl. Add yeast and stir. Add oil, honey, and eggs. Stir in about 5 cups of flour.
Let the mixture rest about 45 minutes to 1 hour until it bubbles. THis is the first rising.
Add salt and stir in the remaining flour. Lightly flour a board, and knead dough 7 to ten minutes until mixed. As you work, add only as much flour to allow you to handle the dough.
Separate challah with a blessing. Lightly grease pans and sprinkle with cornmeal. Shape the dough into loaves and rolls. Place loaves in pans and let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350
Brush loaves with beaten eggs and sprinkle with seeds. Bake until brown, 45-50 minutes for loaves and 30 minutes for rolls. Remove form pans and cool on racks.

sunflower mom

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 1:39 pm
Quote:
I tried the recipe from the purple cookbook and my son wasn't too impressed (I wasn't either...)

Sorry- didn't see that! embarrassed

elisecohen

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 2:25 pm
From Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, reprinted from a previous post:

Dissolve 2 tsp active dry yeast in 1/2 C warm water. In a big bowl, mix about 6 C whole wheat flour and 1 T salt. Add the yeast and water, plus 4 eggs, 1 3/4 C warm water, 1/4 C oil, 3 T honey. Mix, then knead in about 2 more cups of the flour. You can add vital wheat gluten to make the dough even lighter and fluffier, but this is optional. Knead for up to 20 minutes to develop the dough the best.

Let it rise covered in a greased bowl for about 1 1/2 hours. Punch the dough down, take challah now, let dough sit a couple of minutes, and shape loaves.

Let them rise 45-60 minutes, glaze with egg if you want, and then bake at 350* for 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of the loaves.

willow

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 4:21 pm
I made elisecohens recipe and it is so so good.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 4:26 pm
MY BREAD MACHINE CHALLAH, WITH VARIATIONS

WHITE FLOUR

SINGLE ONE AND A HALF DOUBLE
Yeast (bulk) 2 tsp 3 tsp 4 tsp
Flour (mixture of bread/regular) 3 cups 6 cups 9 cups
Sugar 4 T 6 T 8 T
Eggs 2 3 4
Oil 6 T 9 T 12 T
Salt 1 1/2 tsp 2 tsp approx. 3 tsp
Water 3/4 cup 1 cup 1 1/2 cups

WHOLE WHEAT

SINGLE ONE AND A HALF DOUBLE
Oil 1/4 cup 1/3 cup 1/2 cup
Honey 2 T 3 T 4 T
Eggs 2 3 4
Water (or mostly apple juice for Mezonos) 3/4 cup 1 cup 1 1/2 cups
Flour (mixture of bread/regular) 2 cups 3 cups 4 cups
WW flour (pastry if possible) 1 cup 1 1/2 cups 2 cups
Salt 1 1/4 tsp 2 tsp 2 1/2 tsp
Sugar 1 T 1 1/2 T 2 T
Yeast (bulk) 2 1/2 tsp 3 3/4 tsp approx. 5 tsp

elisecohen

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 4:58 pm
Thanks, Willow! Credit the cookbook, which I really like.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 7:24 pm
just add honey to the recipe! thats what I do, no whole wheat recipe is ever really sweet. Add a cup of honey and it will be good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads