Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for taking my daughter to bus stop

spoons

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 7:25 pm
My daughter is picked up by a young girl (10?) and her mother every morning. It is not out of their way; it's en route to the stop.
I gave Mishloach Manot on Purim to the family but at the end of the year I'd like to show hakaros hatov, as well.
Do I give to the girl? the mother? (she crosses the street with them, then leaves her daughter) both? I can't spend a lot.
I don't think she/they're expecting anything but it seems to be the right thing.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 7:55 pm
A watch for the girl?
A book for the mom?

spoons

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 8:42 pm
hmm, I dunno about a book- who knows what type she likes?
does a gift card to one of those costume jewelery/makeup stores sound good= can be for both/one. (know Bellisimo in Brooklyn? good stuff?)
Guess I have some more time to worry about it!

mae1984

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 2:22 am
I would do nice toiletries for the the mum. Something that's all packaged up and fun that actually would get used. Like handcream etc. Not expensive but pretty.
For the girl I would get a pretty piece of jewellery, again not expensive but something that looks nice.

Marion

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 2:36 am
No ideas (GC for a bookstore?). But I wanted to say that it's really thoughtful of you; unfortunately a lot of people would take such an arrangement for granted.

spoons

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 10:53 am
thanks! I think I'm thoughtful too Smile especially cuz she does it, it seems, with absolutely NO simcha at all. every morning I feel like she's making me feel like she's doing a HUGE favor for me. never smiles. no small chit chat. sometimes she's practically walking past and my daughter has to run down the steps and catch up!! no exaggeration.
I just keep thinking, if it were me, I would be nice about it. say hello how are you at the very least. Even so, with all that, I do want to show hakaras hatov. her picking my daughter up allows me to be home with the other kids and not drag them out in PJs!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 12:55 pm
I have a similar situation - 2 of my daughters are walked home each Friday by 2 older girls who live a few doors down. The older girls would be walking this way anyways, and I always pick all the girls up when the wearther is bad. I too was wondering what to give these older Elementary School children for doing this Chessed for me on Friday afternoons, Just to show them a token of my appreciation....

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 1:04 pm
Ha! I have a neighbor who lives 3 flights up and her daughter attends my daughter's school, thereby going on the same bus. I walk out every morning and walk this little girl onto the bus (the bus stops in the middle of the street and halts traffic in both directions) along with my daughter, close her jacket when it is colder than her mother thought it was, and if she is running late and the bus has arrived I quickly call up to their home on my cell phone. I do this so gladly and naturally and was extremely shocked when this woman presented me with stunning napkin rings for Pesach, which graced our Seder and Yom Tov meals!!

spoons

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 1:10 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
was extremely shocked when this woman presented me with stunning napkin rings for Pesach, which graced our Seder and Yom Tov meals!!

now that's a nice idea! Smile

smileyface

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 1:12 pm
Someone once gave me a gift voucher to get my nails done. If you think they are the type to apprieciate it, I think its a nice gift.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics