Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Potty training!!!!! HELP

amother

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 4:09 pm
I am in serious need of professional help!
We have been trying to train my 3 yr old for the past 6 months. He is almost 3 1/2 and this is been pure torture-for all of us. We have tried everything--letting him run around with no diaper--he would just hold it in or have accidents-not successful. He only tells us AFTER he makes. We went to the store so he could pick out special underwear-didnt work. Showed him all the toys he could get-doesnt work. Letting him sit on the toilet reading books or watching dvds-didnt work. I feel like I am at my wits end. Seriously this makes me so sad! Why are we all having such a hard time??? kids get trained all the time in 2 days-he REFUSES to make. Doctors and mothers tell me not to rush or push it will happen-but hello hes 3 1/2 already!!!!! What do I do? start punishing him if he doesnt make? thats horrible.

marina

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 4:24 pm
1. Eliminate all sugar from his diet.

2. Give choc. chips for making on the potty. In the beginning, give choc chips for making anywhere near the potty, even if he started elsewhere and you had to carry him to the potty. DO NOT GIVE ANY OTHER SUGAR EVER during this time.

3. The end. It will take about 3-5 days for him to get the idea and 2-4 weeks to be fully operational. Nightime training comes later.

Tips: have a potty in each room that he uses a lot, including kitchen, bedroom, etc.

If the above doesn't work, buy an awesome toy that he can only look at when he is sitting on the potty ( I.e. musical book). Take the book away when he gets up from the potty. Combine this with the choc. chips and you will be fine. Good luck.

jewels

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 4:31 pm
My first son was ready at 3 and he was trained in a week, day and night. My younger son wasn't ready until he was over 3 1/2 either-I didn't even bother trying because I wasn't interested in the aggravation of dealing with it. I waited and when I saw he was ready it took literally 2 days. I let him run around without a diaper shabbos and sunday, he went to school on Monday with underwear. He wasn't ready for the night until he was for sure 4. I think it all depends on the kid and maybe u should just take a break for now. He's probably just as frustrated as you are so give him a few weeks break where you don't mention it at all and then try again. It's just not worth the stress! He'll get there - they all do. Wink Good luck!!!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 8:44 pm
Thank u--I know hes just as frustrated as we are!!

We tried the amazing toys by the toilet--no joke we have stacks of toys next to it. We even opened one up just so he would sit for a little...

I guess I will give it some time--maybe another week or so....

oysh!!!!

optimit

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 1:53 am
Wouldn't approach him with a deadline because kids sense that.

Let him take the lead.
Read him books about children using potties. There are several good ones. Our kids enjoy one called Uh Oh Gotta Go! and also the Alona Frankl book with that long page of "and he sat and he sat and he sat" I think it's called Once upon a potty.
Arrange a playdate with another child who knows how to use the potty and that will spur his natural curiosity.

It will come b"H!

raspberry tea

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 4:56 am
marina wrote:
1. Eliminate all sugar from his diet.

2. Give choc. chips for making on the potty. In the beginning, give choc chips for making anywhere near the potty, even if he started elsewhere and you had to carry him to the potty. DO NOT GIVE ANY OTHER SUGAR EVER during this time.

3. The end. It will take about 3-5 days for him to get the idea and 2-4 weeks to be fully operational. Nightime training comes later.

Tips: have a potty in each room that he uses a lot, including kitchen, bedroom, etc.

If the above doesn't work, buy an awesome toy that he can only look at when he is sitting on the potty ( I.e. musical book). Take the book away when he gets up from the potty. Combine this with the choc. chips and you will be fine. Good luck.

I'm dealing with this problem now. All my kiddos were trained at the 2 yr mark easily without issues. Now I'm dealing with a DD who will be three in a couple of months and is not yet trained. She loves talking about it and even trying to sit on the potty now and then but nothing. Although wonder of wonders this morning she made on her potty, normally she just asks for a diaper. But, I think I'm going to stop providing them for her. Although I am concerned about her holding it in. Because that is what she has done in the past when she goes without the diaper. Anyways, what's the thought behind the no sugar ever. Just really curious. Does the no sugar motivate them to make in the potty to get a fix of sugar? Is that it?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 9:57 am
I am a big believer in not pushing your kid. my mil drove me crazy when my dd was 18 months that I should buy a potty because soon I can train her. I bought a potty at 20 months but let her do her own thing. She did make on it a few times but that was it. At two my mil told me that she forced her kids to sit there until they made and they were all trained by two. I ignored her and by two and four months my dd trained herself. My landlady has four kids three trained by two and fourth not trained till 3 3/4. I think you really need to wait until they are ready pushing wont help. Btw my dh is constantly going to the bathroom and I think its because his mother drilled it into him to constantly go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics