Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Female Version?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 3:52 pm
Original OP

I think I like Tziona. When I first heard it, I was like.... uhhh, not my type... but the more I thought about it and tried it out, the more I like it!
The only issue is my DH doesn't like it too much Confused We will B"N add another name, which we have already (a relative that was niftar recently) and he insists he is going to call her (if it ends up being a girl, of cours) I"YH by the other name. I don't mind terribly, but we may come to problems when I call her by one name and he the other.... Rolling Eyes

cassandra

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 4:34 pm
Crayon210 wrote:

Mothered the world.

That's the best you've got?

Quote:

I can't answer this, since I didn't davka promote it. And I know some pretty frum Shlomises from parents who are familiar with Tanach, to say the least. Confused

There were two Tamars in Tanach who were raped, and I would shy away from the name because of that, but I still understand naming after the tree. Shlomis bas Divri was such a minor figure, and it's mind-boggling that someone would be told to change their name (where does kibud av v'em come into this?) because of this minor figure. It's a shame that some people believe that their name is their destiny.

Quote:
Men on Imamother? shock

It seemed to be the consensus that it is okay for a five year old to go the women's pool, kal v'chomer on imamother where the women are invisible.

Atali

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 6:08 pm
cassandra wrote:
Atali wrote:
Emee wrote:
what about shlomit? Instead of shulamit.

For Ben tzion Tziona is the only thing that comes to mind.

I wouldn't recommend Shlomit, because of Shlomit bat Divri from the chumash

Do you also oppose Chava, Leah, Tamar, Miriam, Michal, Batsheva, etc.?

As I understand, all of the above are considered to be righteous, while Shlomis is not.

Atali

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 6:10 pm
Quote:
It seemed to be the consensus that it is okay for a five year old to go the women's pool, kal v'chomer on Imamother where the women are invisible.

I wouldn't take my four year old to a womens' pool, but I don't mind if your DS looks at Imamother (as long as he can't read so well).

cassandra

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 6:12 pm
Atali wrote:
Quote:
It seemed to be the consensus that it is okay for a five year old to go the women's pool, kal v'chomer on Imamother where the women are invisible.

I wouldn't take my four year old to a womens' pool, but I don't mind if your DS looks at Imamother (as long as he can't read so well).

I was going by the rov. He can read, but not as fast as I can.

cassandra

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 6:13 pm
Atali wrote:
cassandra wrote:
Atali wrote:
Emee wrote:
what about shlomit? Instead of shulamit.

For Ben tzion Tziona is the only thing that comes to mind.

I wouldn't recommend Shlomit, because of Shlomit bat Divri from the chumash

Do you also oppose Chava, Leah, Tamar, Miriam, Michal, Batsheva, etc.?

As I understand, all of the above are considered to be righteous, while Shlomis is not.

Is she really a reshaa? And if so, isn't this based on midrashim?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 3:24 am
amother wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
I heard of 2 or 3 female Shalom, no female Sholom though.

Probably because anyone frum enough to spell Shalom "Sholom" would not give a boy's name to a girl. Confused

Interesting. Sefardim are never "frum enough"? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 3:25 am
Crayon210 wrote:
I know some pretty frum Shlomises from parents who are familiar with Tanach, to say the least. Confused

It's probably a family name for them, not a choice from the Tanach.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 3:56 am
Be careful with "Tziona". My daughter's middle name is Tziona and she hates it. I named her after my dad's grandmother whose name was "Tchinya". In the Charedi circles you don't find that name amongst Ashkenazim, btw. Sfardim use it. As well as Bat Tziyon. So, if you live here or have any plans to - keep that in mind.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 1:04 am
Yesterday I found just by coincidence about the name Tziona being used in 14th century Germany! (along with Atara and other similar names). Someone told me it would interest Imamother Wink

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Apr 29 2010, 4:20 am
That IS interesting.

shevi82

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 11:57 am
Rashi on Shlomit Bas Divri
ושם אמו שלומית בת דברי - שבחן של ישראל שפרסמה הכתוב לזו לומר שהיא לבדה היתה זונה

שלמית - דהות פטפטה שלם עלך שלם עלך שלם עליכון מפטפטת בדברים שואלת בשלום הכל

בת דברי - דברנית היתה מדברת עם כל אדם לפיכך קלקלה

She wasn't a great character to say the least. She was a Zona, and overly talkative.
So I guess It's like giving a kid the name Nimrod-alot of Israeli's have that name, but it has a terrible meaning.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 03 2010, 4:26 am
Shlomit has a mesora of being given. Not Nimrod.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names