Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Ayla
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 7:52 am
Yiddish Odel and Odelia don't have the same meaning, actually.

I prefer old fashioned names to modern ones personally.

mae1984

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 8:04 am
I think Ella is pretty old fashioned actually, it's just going through a bit of a rebirth now. I really think it's a beautiful classic name.

At the end of the day, with regards to Odelia, we wanted to name for a Grandmother whose name we didn't particulary like, so we were able to make small changes but still hear the similarities. And the name goes really well with Ella - I think it sounds really musical!

cubbie

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
cubbie wrote:
I know someone who named their daughter Ayla, it was the first time I heard of the name, I'll ask her when I see her.

Thank you... please do!

Ok she spells it אלה in Hebrew and Ayla in English, she said it the female of Alon - an oak tree and also obviously includes Hashem's name, she said it's pretty much the same name as Ella, but pronounced the hebrew way with the emphesis in a different place to the english way. It has no connection to the name Ayala.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names