Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Special Ed @ Touro - Do you have info about it?

happydw

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 7:46 pm
I'm thinking of going back to school for special ed. I'm thinking of going to Touro...has anyone gone there, specifically for a masters in special ed? If you have, please tell me your experience - how were the classes, the teachers, hard/easy? Are you happy you went there or would you suggest to go somewhere else for the masters? What did you specialize in and is it easy to get a job in your particular field?

TIA!

amother

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 9:44 pm
touro's program is easy. especially compared to brooklyn which is supposedly much harder. I'm happy I went to Touro in the sense that they are very flexible for working ppl or mothers. Most of the time the ppl in college are single and 20 years old - and scheduling of classes can be at really bad times. Touro has all day sunday classes which is really convenient. Though, I have to say, some of the classes were just ridiculous and I really felt as if I was wasting my time and money. But at this point, having children and all, dealing with a vigorous work schedule, an easier program really worked to my advantage.

happydw

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 11:37 pm
Do you feel like your degree isn't "worth" as much bc u went to touro? Do you feel looked down upon bc it is an easier program?

frummy613

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 3:01 pm
can u do the online program from baltimore-thats what I really need- a distance program for special ed

mommalah

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 3:06 pm
frummy613 wrote:
can u do the online program from baltimore-thats what I really need- a distance program for special ed

I have the same question. Smile

They have a special ed program completely online, but I don't know whether the field work has to be in NY, or can be elsewhere.

frummy613

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 5:45 pm
I just got an email form the head of the online dept of special ed. she said yes in fact you must reside I ny.they are trying to expand the program next year.
my question is can I use my relatives adress in ny and claim to reside there?is that morally wrong?...probably but I really want this degree!
I dont even know if thats possible though....

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 7:02 pm
I don't think people look down on Touro master's, though I can't guarantee. I'm in the field and it seems to me that unless you went somewhere very prestigious that could work to your advantage or to a real no-name online degree factory, they really just look at your certification and experience more.

I did not do my masters at Touro but took a couple of courses there. They were quite good. I took in Manhattan. Don't know a thing about Brooklyn.

mommalah

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 7:34 pm
frummy613 wrote:
I just got an email form the head of the online dept of special ed. she said yes in fact you must reside I ny.they are trying to expand the program next year.
my question is can I use my relatives adress in ny and claim to reside there?is that morally wrong?...probably but I really want this degree!
I dont even know if thats possible though....

I don't know if it's morally wrong or not, but should you pretend that you live in ny, wouldn't you need to show them state id? The issue of field work is still there as well. I was going to check iff TTI has a special ed lakewood program on Sundays as I'm thinking of commuting once a week. It's like 45 minutes closer to Balt than Bklyn.

frummy613

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:00 pm
oy! lakewood is still a couple of hours!I wonder how many sundays a program like that would be! if you find out anything-wanna carpool Smile

mommalah

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:21 pm
frummy613 wrote:
oy! lakewood is still a couple of hours!I wonder how many sundays a program like that would be! if you find out anything-wanna carpool Smile

I spoke with a TTI (Testing and Training International) rep the other night and the Brooklyn Sunday (9-5) program goes from Oct 2010 (after sukkos) until Jan 2011, a 14 month program made up of 6 8-week semesters. If only it was in, I dunno, Cherry Hill, NJ, it would be a whole lot more feasible than Lakewood! We can certainly carpool! :-)

frummy613

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:55 pm
I wish they would jsut do something online or make a baltimore school!theres def. a demand for it!

uchhhh

me4

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 10:24 pm
I did reg. Touro masters before one had an option to do it completely online... it was very easy. Some work but I loved how you could take some classes online... They may only cater to NY because they are geared towards NYS certification.

nicole81

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 10:31 pm
touro is known to be an easy school. everyone in the dept. of ed knows it, but nevertheless, no one really cares when you interview, as long as you have your certification.

I did not go to touro for my master's, but where I was pursuing my degree never came up.

there is a joke that all the terrible school administrators within the DOE got their admin degree from touro, but it still doesn't affect hiring decisions. a close friend of mine was just hired as an assistant principal straight out of touro, and I will definitely be pursuing my second master's there because I'm sick of working hard and want an easy degree.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 11:19 pm
It's definitely cheaper to attend a CUNY school. And you'll probably learn more too.

I really don't mean to brag/vent/whatever you want to call it. But right now I'm almost finished with a master's degree in an education-related field at Hunter College and I have some close friends/family members who have been through the Touro master's program at the same time as I've been in school and the work they're doing cannot even compare. I also honestly feel that I just know more things regarding my field of choice than my friends

I like having professors whose ONLY job is to be on the college campus, teach, write their grants, do their own research, etc. even though the work has been insanely ridiculous.

But again, it seems that as long as you have your certification and no criminal history, you can teach in New York State. So good luck!

pecan

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 11:24 pm
I went to Touro and the master's program was not easy. Some classes were easy, but I think I lucked out with quite a few hard ones - I learned plenty, though. And when I see what they do at Sara Shnirer, etc. I had to work much harder than that.
It could be it depends on what kind of grades you like to get.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics