Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Bleaching in my washer?

speciwoman

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 10:19 am
DH has a nice white shirt that got a little stain on it. He took it to the dry cleaner and pointed out the stain, but they didn't get it out. Now he's furious and wants me to bleach it. I've always avoided using bleach in my washing machine, though, because I am afraid of getting bleach spots on my clothes.

HELP!!!!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 10:34 am
youdon't have to bleach it. do you even have bleach in the house?

you can pretreat, soak & wash it.

speciwoman

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 10:38 am
I have bleach that we use to clean the bathroom.

Pre-treat with what? Also, it has already been "cleaned" and dried by the dry cleaner.

jflower

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 10:45 am
This happened to us too. DH's shirt came back with a stain, nicely starched and pressed.

I soaked it in Tide with bleach and some Oxiclean (a stain remover). It came right out. Just be patient and keep on soaking. Good luck.

speciwoman

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 10:54 am
And you haven't found that residual oxyclean in your washer makes spots on other clothes?

jflower

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 11:19 am
I soaked the shirt in a basin, not the washer.

If you want to soak in the washer and are worried about harming the next load of laundry, run a white load right after.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 11:25 am
If you can, make the shirt wet with cold water, squirt some Cascade dishwashing gel on the stain. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Then scrub out the stain.
Wash in machine as usual.

Cascade has bleach in it, so be careful, but it won't make holes or yellow the clothes like bleach does.

speciwoman

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 11:29 am
Ok. I just want to be really careful because it's a very expensive Ralph Lauren shirt. I'm not good with things like this!

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

mominlkwd

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 11:33 am
This is how I bleach.

Run bleach load
run second load with whites but just detergent and no bleach
run load with towels in case any bleach remained

I know a few people who do this and by the next load all the bleach is way gone. I also wipe down the inside of the washing machine (around the door on top) with a white sock and throw it in to the bleach load in case there was any splash I can't see.

Good Luck

jflower

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 11:38 am
I always thought that I had to be careful about using bleach on a shirt, since the labels usually specify 'no bleach'. That's why I use Tide w bleach and Oxiclean instead.

Has anyone tried bleach on a shirt even though the label says not to?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 1:52 pm
You can go to the laundromat, too. or ask a friend. I've washed for other ppl before, no big whoop.

speciwoman

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 1:52 pm
In the end, I took a Q-tip with bleach and put it on the spot, which I had wet thoroughly. Then I rinsed the shirt in the utility sink and ran it through the wash with a load of white towels. Worked like a charm! Thanks to all of you who helped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry