Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Turned off by surgical weight loss seminar

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 11:34 am
I went to seminar for surgical weight loss programs and my instant reaction was that I dont belong there. I am obese and heading to the morbidly obese stage. But I was so grossed out by it. Its weird cuz I was so sure I wanted to do it and was prepared. I have family members who did it so im very aware of all the procedures and life changes. The obvious advantage is that it makes not eating much easier so I really dont know what to do.
My gut tells me to diet but ive tried it numerous times over last three years and it didnt last too long. I dont know if I want to starve myself. I mean even eating healthy would be starving myself since im used ot eating so much.
Anyone care to share their thoughts?

louche

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 11:56 am
If you were turned off, you're by definition not a good candidate, no matter how many other good-candidate factors you have. It doesn't matter what weight-loss method you try, it will work only if you "buy in" to it. Surgery works for many people but so do less drastic methods.

Also, unless you buy in to the whole package, even surgery won't keep the weight off forever. It takes time and some doing, but people have managed to gain back the weight they lost post-surgery.

Don't give up; find some other method that's more in tune with your circumstances and personality. There's no need to "starve" yourself, but there is need to exert some self-control. Reducing your caloric intake and/or increasing your caloric expenditure by five hundred calories a day translates into a loss of a pound of fat a week. Actual loss is usually more, because together with the fat you also lose water that was trapped in the tissues. A pound a week may not sound like much if you have 100 lbs. to lose, but that's less than 2 years to lose the equivalent of a whole person.

Hatzlacha whatever you decide.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 9:45 pm
718 wrote:
I went to seminar for surgical weight loss programs and my instant reaction was that I dont belong there. I am obese and heading to the morbidly obese stage. But I was so grossed out by it. Its weird cuz I was so sure I wanted to do it and was prepared. I have family members who did it so im very aware of all the procedures and life changes. The obvious advantage is that it makes not eating much easier so I really dont know what to do.
My gut tells me to diet but ive tried it numerous times over last three years and it didnt last too long. I dont know if I want to starve myself. I mean even eating healthy would be starving myself since im used ot eating so much.
Anyone care to share their thoughts?

You need to think long and hard as to why you were turned off and what it was that turned you off. You might have valid reasons, or the reasons might be invalid, such as I was grossed out to think that I'm going to be doing the same surgery that people who weigh 100+ pounds more than me will be doing, I'm not THAT fat. Once you identified what the reason is, I think it'll be easier for you to work through the pros/cons. Many people freak out when they go to the seminar and that's why they have it.

If you starve yourself, something's wrong. The issue is in your last line - you're used to eating much and you are simply not ready to give that up. No diet will work if you're used to eating so much.

The bottom line is don't do it if you don't feel ready to do it and fully commit.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 9:53 pm
Has your dr given you the OK to diet and exercise? You need to see what works for you - if you don't like to sweat, then maybe swimming or dancing is for you. If you don't like veggies, then maybe fruit salads and whole grains would work better for you. Or maybe cooked versus raw.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise