Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Interesting Dryer Info

amother

Post Wed, Jun 16 2010, 7:13 am
After 5 years of heavy use, the heating element on my dryer stopped working. (Of course, it happened Erev Shabbos, right before Rosh Chodesh when I was trying to get tons of clothes done!) The repairman came yesterday and fortunately, he actually had the part in his truck. (I had envisioned weeks of no dryer, so I was pleasantly surprised!) Anyway, while he was here he shared a great safety tip: He said that we should always let the dryer run it's full cycle, even if there are only a few minutes left. This is for both automatic and timed drying cycles. He said the last 5-10 minutes are very important for the machine so that it can cool down properly. If it's stopped beforehand, the machine doesn't have that chance and the element goes from red hot to nothing too fast, which creates a fire hazzard!!! (This isn't what caused our machine to break, heavy usage did!) He said it's OK to pause the machine to add or remove a garment, but to turn it back on and let it run it's full cycle.

smilingmom

Post Wed, Jun 16 2010, 7:26 am
amother wrote:
After 5 years of heavy use, the heating element on my dryer stopped working. (Of course, it happened Erev Shabbos, right before Rosh Chodesh when I was trying to get tons of clothes done!) The repairman came yesterday and fortunately, he actually had the part in his truck. (I had envisioned weeks of no dryer, so I was pleasantly surprised!) Anyway, while he was here he shared a great safety tip: He said that we should always let the dryer run it's full cycle, even if there are only a few minutes left. This is for both automatic and timed drying cycles. He said the last 5-10 minutes are very important for the machine so that it can cool down properly. If it's stopped beforehand, the machine doesn't have that chance and the element goes from red hot to nothing too fast, which creates a fire hazzard!!! (This isn't what caused our machine to break, heavy usage did!) He said it's OK to pause the machine to add or remove a garment, but to turn it back on and let it run it's full cycle.

Thanks,

amother

Post Wed, Jun 16 2010, 7:34 am
I will add - if you use fabric softener it is very important to clean the filter under running water sometimes with a toothbrush because if you don't a clear film forms that does not come off by removing the lint - it can cause the dryer to burn out. Water will not run through this film so you can tell when you have gone it clean.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry