Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Need some toilet training methods

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 12:12 am
please tell me how you do it.
the incentives u give, if you let them run around naked or not, if you scold when there is an accident..
I need help ASAP. I am loosing my mind. This shabbos was the 5th attempt to try to train ds. He is turning 3 in 2 months, iyh.. heeeeeelp!!

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 12:54 am
I better find some replies when I get back here tomorrow.. the whole shabbos I kept thinking to myself, I must get on Imamother and see if there are any words from the wise.. u ladies must help me!!

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 8:51 pm
Confused

chanagital

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 9:06 pm
First of all if your child isn't ready you aren't going to make them ready to potty train. If your child isn't willing to sit on the pot clothed then you will have issues. If your child doesn't know the difference between being durty and clean then you are fighting a loosing battle. If you are sure that your child is ready take your child to the bathroom every hour. Or two hours at the most after they wake up from a nap or in the morning then after each time they eat take them to the pot. Take off all the clothes when you are ready to bring him to the pot. Do not be afraid of inviting your dd in while you go to the bathroom or when your dh does to the bathroom let him take your son. This gives a positive example to the baby as to how to pee and poop correctly. Also if you have other kids the same thing let the baby go with them if they are willing to take the baby. It depends on the child as to how to reward the child. Some kids like stickers, some like high fives, others just like the attention they get when they call bubby and zaddy to tell them they peed in the toilet or to see Emma and Abba do the silly potty dance. It depends on the child. Huggies.com has a free potty training info if you are interested.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 9:08 pm
I'm sorry no one has responded. I can write a book. My son got trained at about age 3. It was a very labor intensive process. he wore training pants and no other pants - which is hard to do now that it's cold. I put him on the potty every 1/2 hour, and he got a treat for every time he went. I also asked him every couple of minutes whether he needs to go, patted his training pants, complimented him on being dry, and gave him a treat. It took six long weeks until I could call him "80% trained". He still had numerous accidents and never asked to go to the bathroom - I always had to remind him. But he started cheder even in this condition and BH the cheder really set him on his feet. In the first 2 months of cheder he had a grand total of four #2 accidents during cheder time. (We wont talk about during home time - he just made #2 in his pants on Shabbos at my ILs during the seudah). He came home sopping wet every day for the first month. But his rebbe was so encouraging and helpful. BH at this point he is more or less trained; he still forgets himself sometimes and wets, but I have not had to use pullups for about 2 months now. Is he going to playgroup or somewhere that will help you along in the process?

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 9:10 pm
I'm sorry beauty...I just haven't toilet trained ds yet, so I have no advice for you...tho I don't see why the more experienced mommies haven't posted...??

zigi

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 9:13 pm
good luck! you can do it! he will be trained!

it could take a while depending on your child. so keep it in mind while you start.

pull ups did not work with my dc, they treated it like a diaper. I took their diapers off and they ran around without bottoms. I took them to the bathroom about every 2 hours. I used a potty seat that they could use themselves. I also gave them a candy in the begining for every time they sat down and tried. and then every day they made something. if they made an accident, they helped clean it up.

I also gave a big incentive if dd would become trained she would get a toy, ds would tell her pishie kaki toilet thomas. he really wanted to share her toy, we said it so often that every time I go to the bathroom its in my head.

with dd it took a while to get her trained. there were a lot of accidents in the begining. so stick with it. good luck!

if you don't want to deal with mess you can reward for a clean pull up. if they went on the potty instead of the pull up. I did this when we were out of the house.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 9:29 pm
thanks for the answers!! finally!! LOL
I really tried hard to train him this weekend, and I want to send him with underwear to playgroup. Do you think that is not right? I know that with pressure from the teachers, and seeing his friends go to the toilet, that will be the best incentive for him. I guess I should discuss it with the teacher- huh?

Chani

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 9:33 pm
I wish I had good words of advice, but DS 1 basically trained himself overnight at a relatively young age. DS2, 3 and 4 all took quite a while - I was racing to get it done by 4th birthday. Just have to keep putting them on the potty and bribing them (I made a big run to the dollar store for cheap toys they'd like!). I did notice that one of them really liked the little freestanding potty, but the others preferred using the toilet seat that fits over the adult seat.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 9:36 pm
1-let him run around without a diaper or any training pants (harder in the winter)
2-give him lots to drink
3-know that you will be confined to your house for at least 3 days (try it over friday, shabbos and sunday)
4-ask him every couple of minutes if he needs to make (even if he will be really irritated by the question, keep on asking)
5-Buy underwear that interests ds (cars and thomas the train)
6-if he is wearing underwear (do not use pull ups) every few minutes ask him to check if he's dry and reward him (I found stickers and m&m's worked well) (I got this idea from one of Mama Bear's posts - Thank you!)
7-make sure he is comfy with sitting on the toilet or potty (I had him practice on the potty since 16 months when I would use the toilet he would sit there until I was done. But when I actually trained I used the cushy insert from the potty that fits on the toilet so I wouldn't have to transition from potty to toilet)
8-read good potty training books to him while on the toilet and off(I have a great one that ds still loves to read)
9-Promise a big reward for going #2 in the toilet. Even better is to have it at home but out of reach where he can see it but can't have it until he goes.
10-Prepare yourself mentally for accidents. They will happen, but don't freak out. While cleaning it up tell him that mommy is so sad and explain why, but don't let him be afraid of you, hug him. Tell him when he makes on the toilet you will be happy and not sad anymore.
11- when he tells you he has to go, stop drop and run (even the nursing baby!) even if it's 5x per minute
12-When he makes in the toilet have him call his father and grandparents to share the exciting news
There must be more but my eyes are blurring...
Good Luck!

shenki

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 6:05 am
My boy always makes nr. 2 early in the morning. So I'm trying to train him already a long time.
Yesterday he woke up very early so I took him out and put him on the toilet.
I was telling him a story and suddenly both. He did nr. 1 & 2 in the toilet.
I was thrilled, 2 minutes later he made nr 1 on the floor. OK but it's a start.

zigi

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 8:46 am
do the teacher mind taking him to the bathroom every 2 hours? with dd's teachers she was almost totally trained the teachers really helped her become fully trained. her class had a lot of kids being potty trained, all of them going to the bathroom helped her learn, now bh she can go by herself and pull up her tights.

chanagital

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 3:03 pm
btw don't ever scold if a child has an accident these are part of the learning process... just praise when he doesn't have an accident. If you scold for having accidents the child might not use the toilet and might develop psychological issues. Think of it like this if you scold a child for not making their letters correctly then they might not try to make their letters again. Same can be true for potty training. It is not a guarantee that it will happen... but no one wants to chance it.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 4:18 pm
happymommy, thanks so much for all the great tips!!
the rest of u- thanks too! guess what?? I sent him today with underwear, and when he came off the van, the teacher said he didnt go the whole day, he was dry!!
buuuut- when we were going up the steps, I smelled him going #2- poor thing0 he kept it in the whole day! I told him its ok, but next time we have to make in the toilet.
why do kids try to keep it in sometimes?

craisin

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 7:28 pm
I just finished toilet training my son B'H, & totally feel with u. first, u should be happy that ur son is capable of keeping it in for a full day - that means that he has good bladder control, & is physically ready. it is very normal for them to keep it in in the beg. especially if hes going to playgroup where theyre prob using a diff potty, or whatever. my son refused to use the toilet in playgroup for the first 2 days , but B'H things were good from then on. he also wore a pull-up for the first week & when I saw rhat he was dry , we switched to reg. underwear. also, how did u introduce toileting to your child? I used the "dolly method" & it worked wonders! my son really got the concept fast.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training