Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are Nature Valley Granola Bars Pas Yisroel?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 10:30 pm
I have noticed several people I know who are (or seem to be) quite careful with pas yisroel eating these. I would normally assume that they are not pas yisroel, because they only have an OU and no other indication of that they are pas yisroel, but I know sometimes OU things can be pas yisroel even if not marked as such. Does anyone know if these granola bars are one of those cases?

Amother because I was recently at someone's house where these were served who might notice the post.

mindyme

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 10:35 pm
Doesn't pas yisroel only apply to things "to be served at king's table?" Granola bar would not apply, I don't think. Or am I thinking of something else?

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 10:36 pm
You know something, I never really thought about that....

mama-star

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 10:41 pm
I have an article from OK kashrus magazine, written by rabbi hanoka, explaining the whole "granola bar" issue, with halachic sources. I can probably scan the article and email it to you. pm me if you would like.

mama-star

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 10:45 pm
I found my article in my cook book and then I found the article archived online. I am putting rabbi hanoka's response here:

Dear OK,
I’ve been wondering, do granola and granola bars need to be Pas Yisroel?

Rabbi Hanoka responds:

First, let me explain what falls into the category of “pas” and is therefore subject to the classification of Pas Yisroel. According to most poskim, dough made from the five grains (wheat, oat, spelt, rye and barley) and then baked, and would satisfy a person as a meal (if enough is consumed) is considered “pas” and would require one to bentch Birkas HaMazon.1 This includes bread and cookies, cakes, pizza, etc.

On the other hand, stalks of wheat or oats have the brocha of Ha’adama. When deshelled or cooked, they lose some of their appearance (like oatmeal) and have the brocha of Mezonos, but they always carry the brocha achrona of Al HaMichya, regardless of how much is consumed. Because these foods always carry the after brocha of Al HaMichya, thus they are exempt from Pas Yisroel.2

Granola is made from solid ingredients (as opposed to flour), such as oat flakes, nuts, fruits and flavorings, which are stuck together by using hot honey, malt syrup and liquid sugar first (in the case of the granola bar are pressed together) and then dried in an oven, thus not having the ruling of a dough. In addition it does not carry the appearance of bread, as it is made of bits and pieces and thus never requires one to bentch Birkas HaMazon regardless of how much is consumed.

In terms of the question of Bishul Akum, granola does not require Bishul Yisroel for numerous reasons, including that it is not eaten as a meal, but rather as a snack food, and is not a food that can be classified as being of a royal nature. (It is not the norm to eat it with bread, a person does not invite one’s friend to come over just to eat it, etc.)3

1. Yoreh Deah siman 112 seif 6 and Pri-Chodosh, end of the Siman.
2. Shulchan Oruch HaRav, Birchas HaNehenin, Perek 1, seif 8 & Perek 2, seif 15.
3. Shulchan Aruch Yoreh Deah 113 seif 1 and Rambam Hilchos Machalos Asuros perek 17 halacha 15

amother

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 11:18 pm
I'm the OP.

That is a very interesting answer from Rabbi Hanoka. Thanks for posting it. I always thought granola bars were the same as cookies or cake, but the difference with whole rolled oats was not something I'd considered (or knew anything about, for that matter). I guess it might depend, too, on the recipe for a particular granola bar. When I make granola bars at home, I do add flour to them. I suppose I should ask a rav, since it seems the issue is more complicated than I originally thought! Very interesting.

If anyone else asked about this or heard something about these particular granola bars, please continue to post.

Smile

Plonis

Post Fri, Jun 18 2010, 10:13 am
The answer I got was in short, no they aren't. But according to many/most poskim, they don't need to be. (Our family doesn't eat them, but we know we're in the minority.)

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 18 2010, 10:17 am
Aren't they steamed, not baked?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 18 2010, 11:40 am
OP:

That is another good question. I thought it was more likely that they are baked, but it could be that they are steamed. In any case, we don't eat Cheerios and similar cereals, because we are following the opinion that cereal still needs to be pas yisroel even if it is steamed.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 18 2010, 1:45 pm
My husband was taught in yeshiva that they are bracha haadama, which is a different story altogether.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen