Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do You Drink Caffeine?
Previous  1  2

Do you drink a caffeinated beverage at least one a day?
Yes  
 49%  [ 52 ]
No  
 50%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 105

curlyhead

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 5:45 pm
I have a coffee when I wake up. The past month or so I started having a 2nd one in the afternoon. I found the afternoon one helped me get more done in the evening but now I have become used to it and it does not do the job any more. Shiv'Assar betammuz is in a week. I should start weaning myself off it. Do you wean yourself off coffee or lower your intake before a fast?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 5:52 pm
I only drink/eat caffeine because I want coffee/chocolate/coke, nothing to do with needing or wanting the caffeine. The only thing caffeine does to me is, keep me from falling asleep and only if I have too much of it and too close to bedtime.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 6:47 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I never get jittery from coffee, it actually calms my nerves. I can drink a fully caffeinated 16 mug and go to sleep. But I also need it in the morning to function. Strange, I know.

Many that get jittery might have a slight sugar problem and are not aware of it. Or hypoglycemia.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 7:00 pm
If I'm drinking coffee for the taste (which happens occasionally) I usually do decaf. The other time I drink coffee is when I have a headache or feel one coming. I tend towards migraines and would rather drink a cup of coffee towards the beginning than end up taking meds (which have caffeine in addition to other things) and feeling sick later.
I'm not a big soda drinker and when it comes to tea it depends on the flavor (if it's available decaf I try to stick to decaf).

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 7:21 pm
I used to love it, but it really started staining my teeth - stains that my hygientist couldn't get off.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 7:25 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I used to love it, but it really started staining my teeth - stains that my hygientist couldn't get off.

I know of someone who only drinks caffeinated drinks with a straw. I guess it helps somewhat because she has white teeth Smile .

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 8:14 pm
curlyhead wrote:
I have a coffee when I wake up. The past month or so I started having a 2nd one in the afternoon. I found the afternoon one helped me get more done in the evening but now I have become used to it and it does not do the job any more. Shiv'Assar betammuz is in a week. I should start weaning myself off it. Do you wean yourself off coffee or lower your intake before a fast?

I never "wean" before a fast. Then your miserable for a week rather then 1 day.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 1:18 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
curlyhead wrote:

I never "wean" before a fast. Then your miserable for a week rather then 1 day.
Someone I know uses caffiene suppositories on fast days.

Marigold

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 1:31 am
4 (10 oz) cups on a good day...with lot's of chocolate as an added bonus..
Coffee is my ritalin too.

smilethere

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 5:42 am
I've never tasted coffee in my life - I always wonder at what stage you become a grown up.

In recent weeks, I often buy myself a Pepsi to start my day (drink only water) I thought it was for the sugar boost - but now I'm figuring it might also be the caffeine boost.
Uh oh, I better stop quickly...

busydev

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 12:52 pm
I dont drink coffee ever. (dont like the taste or smell)

I will sometimes have soda with caffine- but for shabbos not for the caffine.
I dont find that I am any more tired then my husband and I am able to function.
My DH has at least two cups a day (one in the morning and one before second seder)
If he doeant have coffee then he gets headaches and finds it hard to function. (he only recently came to this realization)

we generally get 7-8 hours of sleep. (go to bed between 11:30 and 12:30- wake up at 7:30) and I am able to function just fine.

EvenI

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 2:00 pm
I like coffee a lot - the combination of taste and kick and pick me up feeling. I don't like instant coffee very much, but I'll drink it if there's nothing else. If I go to a new client and I see that they have a good coffee machine, I tend to decide that the client is good to work for. If they are a large company but all they have is instant, I wonder why they don't all go on strike.

I have tried to come off it at various times, with no long term success. I don't drink a lot of it, because I have an awareness of how dehydrating and mineral depleting and jitter-inducing that could become. I drink it usually once, when I get up in the morning, and usually about half as much as I would like. When I'm desperate for something to help me through the afternoon, I sometimes have a second cup, and I find it really helps, but I am wary of getting into the habit of doing it long term.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 2:01 pm
Nopes. Neither does dh.

EvenI

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 2:02 pm
I forgot to say that, since I have never succeeded in removing the desire for coffee from my life, coffee is the one thing that I am truly worried that my soul will crave when it no longer has a body to satisfy the craving. And that is quite horrible.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 2:06 pm
5 cups a day or so. Of instant coffee. Also once in a while a good cappuccino at a cafe.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 2:07 pm
Coffee is good for you! Coffee consumption is associated with decreased risk of developing Parkinson's disease and diabetes, and also gives some protection against Alzheimer's -- and it's especially effective if you're a mouse. Not sure about the protective benefits for ducks, but I drink coffee every day.

Coffee and Parkinson's
Coffee and diabetes
Coffee and Alzheimer's
Coffee and Alzheimer's if you're a mouse

curlyhead

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 5:01 pm
I always thought coffee would increase chance of diabetes if one drinks it with sugar. The article is referring to decaff.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 5:51 pm
That article refers to both regular and decaf.

Here is another study with caffeinated coffeee -- but you have to be a mouse:
Coffee and diabetes in mice

curlyhead

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 6:27 pm
And the parkingsons said you need 10 cups of coffee for it to have a high affect. Who drinks that much. Not too many people.

If that's the study of mice maybe point is that it is similar with humans.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics