Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Anybody else here browse good-will, housing-works, etc.?
Previous  1  2

anonymom

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 10:28 pm
I also love thrift shops and I'm jealous that you have so many on one row. But I'm OOT and don't have a whole day to spend either. I also could not resist stopping when I passed by a thrift shop while on vacation in another city.

I keep a staple remover in my laundry room.

WriterMom

Post Tue, Jul 06 2010, 10:34 pm
I love thrift stores. I like them mostly for three reasons:
1) my household is hard on clothes. If the kids wreck something over theirs or of mine, it's a lot easier not to get upset when the shirt in question cost $3.
2) I get to "try out" brands that I otherwise wouldn't. Sometimes I find something is so well made that I want to try and find it new/on sale (I'm with louche, paying full price is for lazy people!), and otherwise it amuses me greatly to wear something that normally sells for $200 that I bought for $8 (Donna Karan skirt suit!)
3) when tznius clothes aren't "in", it's the best place in town to find long skirts, 3/4 length sleeves, non-plunging necklines etc. Retailers carry what's in vogue; thrift shops carry what was in vogue any time in the last two decades or so. Almost all my denim skirts are from there.

louche

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 12:57 pm
WriterMom wrote:

Almost all my denim skirts are from there.

Me, too! Me, too! I'm stocking up when I find them b/c soon they won't be around. Already my Goodwill has mostly minis.

frumluv

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 1:42 pm
I also love thrift stores & flea markets. Great place to buy denim skirts for very little money. I've even found nice dressy skirts there as well. Keep saying that I will visity City Opera Thrift, but haven't made it there yet.

be good

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 2:31 pm
this thread is making me so excited- nu Earnest, when are we going already??

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, Jul 07 2010, 4:13 pm
I am practically salivating. Where is this store? I MUST GO!

I love thrift stores. I get nice books and sometimes furniture for the house. I also have snagged some handbags that get compliments every time I wear them (who needs to spend 2,000 on coach when my 20$ "vintage" item is fancy enough for a wedding?)

I actually take the clothes with interesting fabric flowers and make flowers and appliques for headbands etc. out of them. I am even opening a little business to that end on etsy. Even the shmattas can often be turned into something lovely after washing and ironing,.

May

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 6:31 pm
I too love thrift shops. But I would be a bit cautious about a thrift shop outlet store - it probably gets all the stuff from the thrift stores that were never sold. So you will probably only find the worst of the garbage - all the nice things probably were picked through and sold in the actual thrift shops first.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains