Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Kids and money

tovasara

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 9:41 am
Can others share their family's allowance/spending money ideas. including,

1) how old were your children when you began giving them allowance

2) if you don't give allowance, how do you handle making sure your child has the appropriate amount of spending money with him/her (such as to buy a snack in school or camp)

thanks in advance.

KNITWIT

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 10:11 am
I started giving my 3rd grader an allowance - a quarter a week..and she has been so good about it - she saves it and then when her piggy bank is full she puts it in the bank. Im amazed she hasnt spent it! She started a bank account last summer when TD bank had their "read 10 books get 10$" promo.

I also talk about how expensive things are and ways ot save money. its important to teach kids fiscal responsibility adn can be done early.

fiddle

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 10:15 am
I give my babies allowance. 1 shekel 20 agurot per week, they both have piggy banks and we let them take out every so often to spend some so they learn how to spend and save. we will definitely up it as the years go by. but as for now one is almost two and the other is 3 and a bit.

SingALong

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 11:17 am
my kids age 3 and 6 do not get an allowance but when we're shopping I tell them they can't have everything, that I only have enough dollars for 1 treat, etc.

they also understand that totty goes to work to bring us money to buy things like food, clothing, etc.

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 11:44 am
I start allowance at age 5, when the kids can be trusted to put the $ away and not lose it.

We get treats on Fri. afternoon before Shabbat, and I expect them to use their allowance money for it. They also use it for things like chocolate milk at school, or any items to buy that I don't think are strictly necessary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children