Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Margarine
Previous  1  2

do you use margarine
yes plenty  
 8%  [ 6 ]
yes sometimes  
 47%  [ 34 ]
no  
 30%  [ 22 ]
only transfat free one  
 12%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 71

girlygirl

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 11:02 pm
I whip up marshmallow fluff with confectioners sugar and little oil (or the earth balance sticks) for my frostings. u can even tint it different colors. yum!

jerusalem mother

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 3:15 am
thanks e/o for your replies, glad to hear its not my own meshugas to try and avoid it.
does anyone know of a transfat free margarine for sale in israel?
Does anyone know how if all bought cookies are with marg or if not how to tell?
Shevi82 I would appreciate that recipy thanks.

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 11:06 pm
I dont use margerine and try to avoid it in all the other foods. I use palm oil instead which is healthier or the recipes that can use just oil instead I do that or I beat up in food processor/ hand blendor 1 egg ,1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp vinigar and slowly pour in 1 1/2 cups oil ultil its a stiff mayonaise I use it to bake alot of things that call for margerine.

mom#1!

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 12:49 am
I only use it when baking for someone else. Just because I'm health minded in this aspect it doesn't mean that the person I'm doing it for has to suffer.

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 1:17 am
I use Earth Balance, sparingly. I grew up on butter, so I don't much like the taste of margarine (although the Earth Balance is better than what they used to sell), but sometimes oil won't do. You also need either margarine or shortening for pareve pastry, you can't use oil--and I don't think Crisco is one bit better than margarine. I also use non-dairy "milk" and creamer very sparingly (I try to avoid Rich Whip altogether).

I have been known to serve a milchig meal just so I can make the dessert milchig and do it justice. Pareve "buttercream" is awful (why would I want my cake spread with confectioners sugar and margarine?), but real buttercream (with egg yolks or a meringue base) is another story. Or ganache. Yum. I'd much rather have a silky pastry cream made with half and half and butter than something faked up with vanilla pudding mix. Because I grew up on all milchig sweets, I probably still make many more things milchig rather than baking them pareve "just in case". That solves the margarine problem nicely!

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 6:33 am
Laughing Bag! wrote:
I dont use margerine and try to avoid it in all the other foods. I use palm oil instead which is healthier or the recipes that can use just oil instead I do that or I beat up in food processor/ hand blendor 1 egg ,1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp vinigar and slowly pour in 1 1/2 cups oil ultil its a stiff mayonaise I use it to bake alot of things that call for margerine.

excellent,glad to hear it.

I also make myown mayonaisse (which is just 2 eggs, 3cups oil and 2 tsp vinegar and 1 tsp salt opt.)
and it is the perfect substitute for margarine without any transfat, and since you make it yourself you know exactly what it in it!

Homemade mayonaisse is the answer to all your margarine problems,my mil makes THE BEST wafer cake of anyone (the whole city knows it) and she uses-homemade mayonaisse,never any margarine,in fact she notes that it freezes better with mayo than with margarine!

All those cookie recipes that you are certain cannot use oil, use the mayo!
Even frosting! Yes the real good old fashioned frosting, not glaze or whip, omit the salt in the mayo and voila, delicious!

Really, mayonaisse is whipped eggs and oil....it is fat just like butter and margarine, but it is healthier than margarine, cheaper than butter and pareve!

You can enjoy all your creamy fancy desserts with mayo instead of margarine and it is an equal substitution, 1cup margarine would be 1 cup mayo.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 7:43 am
Mayonnaise is easy to do, and easy to miss! Wink

Palm oil is considered unhealthy by many here, much more than margarine.

Marion

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 10:35 am
Birthday cake with no decorations ("butter"cream) doesn't appeal to me at all, even if it's just for appearance's sake! I happen to HATE the taste of buttercream made with butter, and I finally found a tasteless margarine I can use for it (instead of the highly expensive shortening).

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 11:08 am
Tamiri wrote:
It's so bad that it is banned in our house. Plenty of things come with margarine in them - I just make sure that nothing home-made (the bulk of our diet) has it. So we get our minuscule amounts elsewhere.

Same here.
I would never bake a cake with margarine. I use only oil based recipes.

RachelB

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 12:22 pm
Never buy it. We do all our baking with oil and 100% wholewheat flour. Including challah cakes and cookies.
No one has ever complained and everyone asks for recipes.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 3:31 pm
I don't know if someone posted it but I make streusel using oil. I substitute oil for margarine all the time. Once in a while I buy margarine when I want to bake a certain cookie recipe for a simcha or the like.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars