Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
No childcare arrangement and working at home

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 12:25 pm
In my neighborhood there are no playgroups day camps etc. for this part of the year. I've been at a loss - I just don't know what to do with dd while I work. I wonder what in the world everyone else does?! I cannot work with her around - I'm being paid by the hour - she is two and a half k'h. My husband is usually home in the afternoon these days but my daughter knows I'm in the house and starts to scream for me and tries to open the door and join me. It's really hard for my husband to deal with this. Taking her out for a while is not really an option because its so hot. (he can take her for an hour towards evening but that's about it.) I can work while she sleeps but I only get in a couple of hours from that - she's not such a big sleeper. In short I end up falling behind and then staying up really late which leaves me exhausted the next day. I know in just a week and a half it'll be over but I'd still like to vent and get ideas.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 12:31 pm
ooh. that's tough. Can you find indoor destinations where your DH can take DD? Libraries, swimming pool, friends or relatives? Failing that, is finding a babysitter where you can drop off DD an option? Or ask DH to take her out for 20min or so, meanwhile lock yourself in the office and don't let her know you're home (or go out with them for 5-10min and get back home before them, if you want it more cunning).

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 3:32 pm
I'm not sure where you are but last summer, we were living in Modiin. The mall there had all kinds of free activities for kids: gymboree, story our 2-3 times a week, singing entertainer a handful of times. Is there anything like that near you?

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 2:43 am
we are near modiin but theres no bus service between here and there and my dh probably wouldn't feel comfortable going to the mall.

Thanks to both of you for responding. Today I feel like such a shnorrer because I sent her to a neighbor who has a kid in her gan. So I better start working !

miriamg

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 2:47 am
What about hiring a high school girl to babysit in her home?

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 2:55 am
Can you escape and work in a coffee shop when DH is home with her?

I'm assuming you're doing some type of computer-based work... most coffee shops have wi-fi. And they also have tasty coffee drinks.

e1234

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 3:22 am
if it makes you feel better I have the same problem. (6 home -how am I supposed to work? I'm also after a maternity leave and have people waiting for me to get to their work - the fun of freelancing from home!)
I found a camp for 3 of them for the next 3 days but then I'm going to be stuck again until school starts.

babysitting is hard to find here.

mimivan

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 3:36 am
I love my kids but can't stand this part of year because I have to work when they are around. I wish I had the time off so I could enjoy their company more. The result is, I call the period between the 9th of Av and Rosh Chodesh Elul when they return to school "The Three Weeks" LOL LOL

But seriously, after years of agonizing, I've realized that I either have to a) work late at night or early in the morning, and insist dh takes them or...(I am tired of losing sleep) b) telling my clients that I'm not working so much the next few weeks. I don't know if this is a possibility for you. It is just so darn hard..I have to work like mad the early part of Elul to make up for it, because then there's Tishrei...expensive time of year.

Yes, babysitting is hard to come by, but I guess if you really search you can find one. I have a neighbor who sometimes takes me kids to her house for a small fee. Keep looking or see if you can work less. For your sanity...I can't even look at a computer when the kids are around without them desperately trying to distract me. It's really hard. I feel for you.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 4:05 am
Thanks for all the support and commiseration. The coffee shop idea is cute but they don't have places like that where I live and I need 2 screens for my work. A high school girl won't work because dd won't be happy with someone she doesn't know and she knows I'm in the house so she gets really unhappy. Get this- my office doesn't even have a lock! sneaking back in won't work because what happens when I need the bathroom etc.

Yup - mimivan the three weeks Crying Smile

e1234

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 4:19 am
I just don't understand why there is no babysitters or camps? are we the only crazy ones willing to work?

even without work - doesn't it make everyone nuts to have kids home bored for 3 weeks straight.
how much mommy camp can you do?

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 4:20 am
I don't get it either. If there are kaytanot, the price is a lot higher. I'm working out an arrangement with some of my teenage nieces to run a "camp" a 3 days a week for my kids so August isn't a total washout in terms of work.

mimivan

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 4:45 am
e1234 wrote:
I just don't understand why there is no babysitters or camps? are we the only crazy ones willing to work?

even without work - doesn't it make everyone nuts to have kids home bored for 3 weeks straight.
how much mommy camp can you do?

there are camps, but they are out of our budget.
Girls want to go on vacation with their families. They don't want to be stuck babysitting, unless they are desperate for money. Everyone wants a vacation this time of year. I tried a woman who runs a mishpachton during the year, but she said "No way, this is my vacation too!"

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 4:46 am
I guess it depends. Here there are a few camps. There are also a few metaplot who will work the first 2 weeks in Aug. I guess teh lesson is for next year to get dd used to someone else in July so hopefully by the time Aug. comes around that girl can help out.

e1234

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 6:03 am
here there is really nothing.

and girls as babysitters has not proven reliable for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers