Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Potty Training

LeoRafi

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 12:53 pm
My 2.5 year old son wont make a number 2 on the toilet, I am constantly throwing out underwear and cleaning him. He makes pish perfectly on the toilet, and is even trained at night. Any suggestions????

mamaleh

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 1:36 pm
We just went through this with our 3.5YO DD. She was doing great with #1 but #2 just didn't happen. We kept her in pull-ups ("panty diapers" so as to differentiate them from diapers) and kept trying different things. I had a feeling that she did not recognize the sensation of need and that's why she kept 'forgetting'. We started having her sit on the toilet for a few minutes after each time she made #1, just to see if she had to make (she enjoyed sitting with a book) and we also offered a prize for each time she actually made #2 on the toilet (she also gets a prize for each day that she stays clean & dry a whole day). This seems to have worked.
At one point I did speak to my pediatrician about it, he made a few suggestions:
*Always put her on the toilet at the same time (this didn't seem to be necessary here although she does usually go around the same time each day)
*Make sure she is sitting well and comfortably (we have the small seat that fits over the toilet seat)
*Make sure her feet have support if she can not reach the floor (we use a step-stool)
*Make a big deal when she is successful but don't make a big deal when she isn't.
*Training for #2 can easily take a couple of weeks longer than training for #1.

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 2:53 pm
I went throught the same thing with my son, now 5.5. He was trained for #1 day and night, no problem, but he kept making #2 in his underwear. I was pregnant at the time and had to clean these dirty underwear daily! I can still sometimes hear him in my nightmares saying "Mommy, I need to make, but it came!" It took (I'm sorry if this sounds discouraging!) a few months until he stopped. We used a potty because the toilet scared the life out of him, and we bribed him with everything you can imagine. He got a big prize every single time he did it. B"H now it's just a distant memory, so remember - gam ze ya'avor! (Though my son still seems to have a phobia with flushing the toilet after he makes, but that's a whole other issue...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics