Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Spinoff - When do you give your child a blanket?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 9:01 pm
I'm confused. In the pillow thread, people were saying they give their kids pillows when they start putting all the rest of the bedding under their heads when they sleep. But don't you keep pillows AND blankets out of the crib when they're little?

I give my kids wearable blankets once they're past swaddling age, because I thought that regular blankets weren't safe. I only started giving blankets at 18 months or older (although I probably would have done it past a year, and maybe earlier), and I would give pillows around the same time.

What am I missing? It took a long time for my almost-two year old to adjust to having a blanket on him. And I know that other people do it earlier. Someone on that thread mentioned something about an appropriate or safe blanket - what makes it appropriate? Are thin blankets safe? Or small ones? Or something like that?

What do you cover your newborns/infants/toddlers in?

chaylizi

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 9:45 pm
My son will be 22 months next week. He still doesn't use a pillow. I think I started using a blanket around 16-17 months. Until then I used a sleep sack.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 10:25 pm
My kids hate blankets. When they are infants I use a velour recieving blanket to cover them so they can feel cozy. When they get older and can move around on their own they don't use a blanket. My toddler sleeps with just a pillow.

zigi

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 11:21 pm
dd uses a blanket. every one else starts with a blanket if its cold and then wind up on top of it. I gave both at about a year.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 11:28 pm
I covered my daughter as soon as it was cold outside and she was not swaddled anymore. that was probably at about 4 or 5 months. she needed to be covered and she would unwrap the swaddled blanket so I covered her. I tried to tuck it in to her so that it was not on her face but I did not want her to be cold and the first time I ever heard of sack blankets was here on this site.

win-win

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 11:31 pm
Gave my baby a blanket just past his first birthday but only gave him a pillow when he was terribly congested at 18 months. It's just over a month and I would like to take it away since he doesn't use it anyway....

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 1:08 am
My kids can't keep a blanket on. when they're still babies we use a sleep sack and once they hit toddler age or so, we just use a double layer of pjs, socks or whatever else we feel they need to keep warm.

gold21

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 1:12 am
While I dont see the risk in a pillow for back-sleeping babies, I am careful with blankets. When they are 1, they get a light baby blanket. When they are like 18 months, they get a medium size blanket, nothing heavy like down. At around 2, I am ok with regular blankets, down or whatever.

curlyhead

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 1:17 am
A small blanket from when they are born. In the winter it is to cold at night just to be swaddled. Sometimes I will put on a really warm sleeping bag. Never heard of not giving a baby a blanket.

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 1:33 am
DS#1 was born in the winter, so he was swaddled/dressed warmly as a tiny baby. About a year later, winter came around again and then he got a blanket.

mandksima

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 1:47 am
As long as the blanket is 100% cotton or another breathable fabric, I don't see the issue unless your baby refuses to keep it on like mine did until 18 months or so. He used a sleep sack in the winter and in the summer he was ready for a light cotton blanket. I made him a great 2-sided seersucker blanket that is perfect with the air conditioning. He is very attached to it now. But he turned 2 already so I guess no more baby status.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics