Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Please help me out - is this a scam?

SleepingBeauty

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 3:19 am
I was caught in an internet scam once before.
I now got the following email - please read for me and let me know if you think this is genuine or not.
I know it's long, I just couldn't figure out how to link it.
Thanks.

JEWISH CHARITIES OF AMERICA

You may apply for membership in JCA if you are incorporated in the United States, have IRS-certified 501(c)(3) status, provide programs, services or grants in at least 15 states and/or one or more foreign countries, and conduct an annual independent financial audit by a cpa.

August 2010

TO JEWISH 501c3 ORGANIZATIONS:

If you meet the above criteria, WE WANT YOU TO JOIN JCA, Jewish Charities of America, and we will help you through the process. If you are not a member of JCA, it is as if you are throwing money out the window and new donors out the door.

JCA started in 2005 as a way of gathering together Jewish organizations that qualified for the CFC, the Combined Federal Campaign - the united way-type workplace campaign for Federal, postal and Armed Services employees. It seemed logical that by forming a group of Jewish groups as a CFC “federation”, we could attract more funds collectively from the nearly 10,000,000, that’s right, nearly ten million, potential contributors to CFC and other workplace campaigns.

It worked! Over the last five years, JCA has become one of the most successful CFC federations and continues to grow in terms of member agencies and dollars contributed. When was the last time you received new donors and additional funds, with virtually no cost? JCA expects contributions to continue to grow in the coming years as more Federal and other employees learn about JCA and how they can easily contribute through their workplace to a variety of important Jewish agencies and causes in the US, in Israel and around the world.

Attached is a copy of the JCA 2011 Universal Application Form (UAF) to get you started, along with a listing of the benefits of being a JCA member. Please note that the application deadline is September 28, 2010.

Also, below is a list of the 2010 JCA members and several questions about JCA and the process of becoming a member.

To learn more about JCA please take a tour of the Online Portfolio system, by going to

www.JEWISHCOA.org , click ‘Member Log In’, enter EIN “12-3456789” and

password “Atlas”.

Then, please give me or Charlotte Swett at JCA's technical consultant, Maguire Inc, a call to indicate your interest, ask questions or request additional information. I can be reached at 212-580-5516; Charlotte at

888-517-8499.

We will also be scheduling a conference call "workshop" at 3pm on September 15 to help you through the application process.

Details will follow.

Join JCA! This is an offer we hope you will not refuse!

The initial application process is not so easy, but also not so hard, and we will hold your hand all along the way.

Remember, please just call or email with questions or indicating your interest, and we will get you started.

If we do not have the correct contact information for you or if you select someone else to be the JCA contact person, please let me know ASAP so we can properly direct JCA information.

All the best for 5771. Looking forward to hearing from you and having you as a member of JCA for 2011.

Ricki Lieberman

JCA Recruitment Project
610 West End Avenue
New York, New York 10024
212.580-5516

Attached please find

• UAF – The 2011 Universal Application Form & instructions

• JCA Membership Services & Benefits

Q. What is JCA?

A. Jewish Charities of America (JCA) recruits, certifies, and represents national and international IRS-recognized 501(c)(3) Jewish organizations that provide service in at least 15 states and/or Israel and around the world, to raise funds in independent workplace fund drives. The Board of JCA is comprised of individuals experienced with nonprofit agencies or workplace campaigns. Please go to www.Jewishcoa.org for more information and to see examples of the wide array of support you receive as a JCA member.

Q. Why should you join JCA?

A. For

• Access to nearly 10,000,000 potential contributors, some of whom want to donate to important Jewish causes and organizations;

• Affiliation with other prestigious agencies to reach these millions of CFC and other workplace donors;

• Access to new donors just by filling out an application;

• Automated transfer of donor data to you each month, at no cost to you;

• Electronic transfer of contributions each month, directly into your agency’s account;

• Central advertising and promotion to make it easier for donors to find you;

• "Best In America" Seal of Approval certifying that your agency has been judged as one of the top 5% of all US charities which meet the stringent standards of the Combined Federal Campaign in terms of public accountability and program and cost effectiveness;

• Connection to state and corporate workplace campaigns.

Q. Why should you NOT join JCA?

A. Do NOT join JCA:

• If you have no interest in enlarging your donor base;

• If you are satisfied with the level of funds you now raise;

• If you feel that a listing with other prestigious agencies would not help you fundraise;

• If you would not be helped by a “hecksher” (seal of approval) given to a small number of well managed and administered charities during a time of greater donor scrutiny.

Q. HOW TO JOIN JCA?

A. First you must qualify for the CFC, the Combined Federal Campaign, which also makes you eligible for the Independent Charities of America, which operates other workplace campaigns. You can qualify if you provide or fund services overseas, OR services benefiting people in at least 15 states. To qualify, fill out JCA's Universal Application Form which is attached to this email or is available at JewishCOA.org.

Throughout the process you work with the JCA team of technical experts – Maguire & Maguire, Inc – who will help determine your eligibility and guide you through the process. Maguire will provide you with specific instructions and time frames. You can reach Maguire at 888-517-8499 or email them at info@JEWISHCOA.org. Charlotte Swett is the JCA liaison.

Please remember that deadlines are firm and plan accordingly.

UPON QUALIFYING, YOU

• are eligible for the “Best of America” certification and seal to use on your stationary and other materials to let your donors and potential donors know you are in the top 5% of all US charities, judged as excellent in terms of your management and program effectiveness;

• can market yourself through your own materials as well as through JCA promotions to the nearly 10,000,000 workplace donors;

• can enroll in an on-line credit card service which has been shown to increase the number of donors and the amounts donated;

• receive monthly deposits direct to your bank account and automated transfer of donor data to you each month.

There is more. Please go to www.Jewishcoa.org and also see the attached list of benefits and services.

*2010 JCA members include:

Amcha for Tsedakah

American Associates, Ben Gurion University of the Negev

American Committee for Shaare Zedek Hospital in Jerusalem

American Friends of AACI

American Friends of Beth Hatefutsoth

American Friends of Magen David Adom

American Friends of Nishmat, Inc.

American Friends of The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra

American Pardes Foundation

American Society for Technion-Israel Institute of Technology

American Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel

Association of Jewish Family & Children's Agencies, Inc.

AVODAH: The Jewish Service Corps

Blue Card

CLAL - The National Jewish Center for Learning and Leadership

ELEM Youth in Distress

Foundation For Jewish Culture

Friends of Yemin Orde, Inc.

Givat Haviva Educational Foundation

Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life

International Sephardic Education Foundation

Jewish Charities of America

Jewish Children's Regional Services

Jewish Community Centers Association of North America

Jewish Funds for Justice

Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs

Jewish National Fund (Keren Kayemeth LeIsrael), Inc.

Jewish Women International

Jews for Judaism

Masorti Foundation for Conservative Judaism in Israel

National Council of Jewish Women

New Israel Fund

North American Conference on Ethiopian Jewry

Shalom Center

Sharsheret Inc.

Society for Humanistic Judaism

Depressed

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 3:39 am
If they are affiliated with non Orthodox organizations I dont have a good feeling about it. But call the accounting firm they mentioned and ask them. Also call any reputable charitable orgs on that list and ask them if they find them to to be beneficial to their organization..

Chavelamomela

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 6:09 am
Its legit.

The organization I work for is on that list (and its Orthodox).

PP - Why would non-orthodox make you have a not-good feeling? These are all reputable charities, registered official non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations.

#1mommy

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 11:05 am
as long as they're not asking you for any personal info, you can give them a call and find out what it is. Just be very careful about giving your SS# Bank account number or CC# until your sure you know what it is and what you'll be doing.

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 1:30 am
I didn't read the whole post but when I did a google search for the phone number it came up with a persons name not as a business. Makes me a little suspicious.

SleepingBeauty

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 1:58 am
Thanks FrumMama - I'm still hesitant. But, if it really is legit as Chavelamomela says - then I wouldn't want to lose out either.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 3:14 am
FrumMamaPA wrote:
I didn't read the whole post but when I did a google search for the phone number it came up with a persons name not as a business. Makes me a little suspicious.

Which may mean it's a scam... if all the info is legit, but the contact info is a private person who may or may not be working for the organization, they get your CC info and pocket the money.

Go online and find the real website for this charity. Find an email address of someone who works there and forward the email, explaining how you received it and unfortunately you believe it may be a scam.

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 1:33 pm
I agree, do some research on it. Call the phone number listed...see how he answers the phone. Then you could call the better business bureau or something like that and find out if it's legit. Good Luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics