Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Y"T Rice cooking - on hotplate?

YoYo

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 11:05 am
I'm trying to work out all my Y"T meals, and I had an idea, but wondering if anyone thinks it'll work.

Basically, my fridge and freezer space is at a premium.

I also don't plan on leaving my stove on for Y"T nor my oven (oven can't stay on, timer turns it off, and stove is where the hotplate goes.) And finally, I don't really have space to leave my hot water urn on either.

So... I need to do all my Y"T preps before hand, pretty much. Or do a minimum amount of cooking on the hotplate.

My question is: could I cook rice on the hotplate, using cold/hot tap water? I have an Israeli hotplate, that always gets very hot. What about couscous?

Thanks!

¬ kollelwife

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 11:16 am
Smile Rice is cheap and yummy. It really depends on your plata. How about you try making rice on your plata for a weekday meal with enough time to spare to make it in a pot if it doesn't work?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 11:17 am
You can put a kettle on your plata - it will get hot enough to make couscous - definitely!

YoYo

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 11:55 am
Thanks - and I will give it a try, but not during the week, because it's a pain to take out!

I'll try it out this fri night, as an extra for the meal, just need to remember not to do chazarah with the pot, since it won't be cooked before shabbos...

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 1:29 pm
You can cook couscous with boiling water, so I can't imagine that would be aporblem for YT. Never thought to try rice, but it might work.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:30 pm
I don't think the plata will get the water hot enough, fast enough to cook the rice. Maybe if you pour boiling water over the rice into an already heated pot (that's been standing on the plata for a while), you will get good rice. If you just pour cold water over rice and put it on the plata, I think you may get glue.
Why don't you make the rice in advance and just store it in a Ziploc bag or something like that? You can even make it and freeze it, then defrost when you want to eat it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen