Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
6 year old wetting himself-doesnt care!!!!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 1:35 pm
My 6 yo will wet himself multiple times a day. He does not do this at camp or school, so we know he can control himself. He HAS been toilet trained, but he regresses.

We have tried rewards, positive encouragement, timers, making him keep the wet stuff on, making him change right away -everything, but nothing helps.

he gets wrapped up in his activity and he just can't be bothered to go to the bathroom.

I will be looking at him with a damp mark on his pants between his legs and he will deny that he is wet.

Im sure Im missing something pertinent, so please feel free to ask me questions

PLEASE HELP

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 1:37 pm
Is he stressed out about something at home - like a new baby? That can cause some regression.

How about making 'toilet time'? I have that in my house - you use the bathroom whether you claim you need it or not. Otherwise, the kid cannot continue playing with whatever they were doing.

I'm sure other people will be more helpful, I dont really have much experience with this stuff. It's the one part of motherhood I really truly wish I didnt have to do.

mashcsch

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 2:07 pm
Try speaking to your pediatrician to rule out a medical cause for this. I love the idea of bathroom time and it should be a non-negotiable rule in your house. But any rules or incentives will only work as long as there is no untreated medical condition

mashcsch

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 2:11 pm
Just another thought. Some children who have low sensory arousal may not feel the urge to go until it is too late. However, this may be just behavioral. Try to rule out as much as you can. Good luck.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 9:22 pm
Bathroom time is not always the right thing - what about if the child does not need to go?

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 10:40 pm
You wrote that he can control himself while in school and other places. That most likely indicates that it's more of an emotional issue. Is there something that makes him feel out of control in his home life? Or even in his school life? Is he struggling in some ways? From the (LOADS of) research I've done, very often, if they only wet their pants at certain times (IOW, they can have control when they want to), it usually stems from some emotional issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training