Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What are Your Favorite Board Games?
Previous  1  2

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:18 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I love bananagrams, my kids are learning to spell! But not for very young kids.

When they were younger our favorites were: Sorry, Chutes and Ladders, and Candyland. As they got older we added rummy, Othello, Battleship, and Monopoly. DD got Apples to Apples last year, great for times when lots of friends are over.

Best card game in our house is Skipbo.

Quote:
I was the Queen of Monopoly and Clue (which I totally wouldn't let my kids play) though. I developed all kinds of strategies.

Why not?

The Visnitzer Rebbe bought my father a game of Monopoly when he was a little boy. It's always been a family favorite.

I think she's referring to CLue.
The pictures are not Tzniusdik.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:40 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
I think she's referring to CLue.
The pictures are not Tzniusdik.

Yes, I was...not just about tznius, but the game is all about figuring out who murdered someone, with what weapon.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:41 pm
Paddington Bear wrote:
Tehilla wrote:
Wow, thanks everyone. I'm so appreciative of suggestions because we really need to buy. We didn't have any before!

PB, Zingo looks cool but it looks like there are a lot of non kosher animals...do you have that one or Zingo 1-2-3 which looks more suitable for us?

mommy24, were your kids able to play snorta (crazy name!) well without all the non kosher animals?

I have the one with the animals as I bought it before she knew numbers and it's more exciting for younger kids. (I hear ya what with all the non-kosher animals but my daughter can play with it for hours (alone) so it's something I can deal with.)
Another game she likes is candyland and match-the-mitvahs. (she's my oldest)
Who does she play with PB? I have a hard time with games for my dd since I have to be the one to play with her.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Paddington Bear wrote:
Tehilla wrote:
Wow, thanks everyone. I'm so appreciative of suggestions because we really need to buy. We didn't have any before!

PB, Zingo looks cool but it looks like there are a lot of non kosher animals...do you have that one or Zingo 1-2-3 which looks more suitable for us?

mommy24, were your kids able to play snorta (crazy name!) well without all the non kosher animals?

I have the one with the animals as I bought it before she knew numbers and it's more exciting for younger kids. (I hear ya what with all the non-kosher animals but my daughter can play with it for hours (alone) so it's something I can deal with.)
Another game she likes is candyland and match-the-mitvahs. (she's my oldest)
Who does she play with PB? I have a hard time with games for my dd since I have to be the one to play with her.

PB, no worries...if it isn't your minhag about the animals, it's simply not your minhag. But since it's ours, I was asking about the 1-2-3, if you had experience.

ra_mom, I still have to play with my kids too. Smile

invisible

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:52 pm
I am curious to hear what the problem with pictures of non- kosher animals is. It seems to me that "mah rabu maasecha Hashem" was not only referring to kosher animals.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:56 pm
invisible wrote:
I am curious to hear what the problem with pictures of non- kosher animals is. It seems to me that "mah rabu maasecha Hashem" was not only referring to kosher animals.

I am Lubavitch. Our Rebbe taught to surround the children with kosher images, kosher animals, etc. I take them to the zoo or use real pictures for education regarding non kosher animals. We go through Perek Shira and discuss the different animals. I don't however, allow them toys & clothing (or whatever) with non kosher animals. I don't believe we are the only group with this minhag.

busydev

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:56 pm
younger kids(3-5ish)- connect four, checkers, old maid and go fish... tho they may have no good pics- there is a jewish version of go fish- with mitzvos, candyland (pics?),
middle age(5-8 ish) - Othello, mastermind, uno, monoply jr, backgammon, memory (get one with ok pictures)
older(7-10+)- racko, monopoly, stratego, chess,bananagrams, rummy
there is some game with ducks and a board that you have to get 4 in a row... (ducks are kosher so are they ok?) my 4 and 7 yr old brothers like it

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:58 pm
Ducks are fine. LOL We have a lot of them...I edited our farm animals, so we have lots of cows, sheep, ducks, and chickens.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children