Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Do playgroups in NY have to be legal?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 9:15 am
I want to open a playgroup in my house for 6 kids. my landlord tells me I can't unless it is legal.
anyone have any info on this/ what are the rules?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 9:34 am
You need to be legal if it's more than 3 kids, I think. Check the city website.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
I want to open a playgroup in my house for 6 kids. my landlord tells me I can't unless it is legal.
anyone have any info on this/ what are the rules?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/ht.....shtml

amother

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 10:00 am
yep, it is 3 kids under 6 y.o.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 1:25 pm
does it have to be legal? yes
does that stop people from opening illegal playgroups anyways? no
but ur landlord is doing the right thing by watching his back, cuz if u would get in trouble for running an illegal daycare, it would be his fault and he would have to take the blame/fine/punishment etc...

amother

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 2:41 pm
yes, it needs to be legal, if it has more than 3 kids under (I think-)6 years old.

We live in a two family house and our tenants upstairs opened an illegal playgroup without having the courtesy to tell us. As much as we try to be nice and accommodating to them for the year before she did this, this really was a tremendous chutzpah for alot of reasons 1. it is a rented apartment, and if I have three kids and a cleaning lady to clean their mess every day, me having three kids who make a mess is my choice. if they mess it up and draw on the walls, its my house I paid for it, that is what comes with having kids. if my tenant decides that she wants to invite 6 kids in every day, with all the mess and noise they bring (jumping on top of us) that is really a chutzpah and it is not fair for example when my kids need to take a nap. 2. it is a tremendous liability esp. if you are unlicensed! if one of the kids wouldve ch'v tripped on the steps, or fell in the bathroom, or alot of other things, WE can get sued b/c its our property. We dont want or need that kid of achrayus on our head.
We rented out our top floor because it would be nice to have the extra $ and dont need the space yet, not because we would go bankrupt without it- I dont want the mess, noise, or dangerous risks that went along with her venture. so my DH told her DH either the playgroup goes or they go, and they chose to leave.
OP doing it illegally is a really dangerous idea u are putting yourself at risk and more importantly all those kids at risk.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 3:08 pm
thanks you fo rthe replies. I don't live in NY so thats why I wanted to know the rules.
do you know what it takes to become legal?
I checked out that web site and it seems realllyyyy long and drawn out.
and do they regulate how the payment happens too? here the parents pay me by check monthly. and I report my earnings. do I have to do the same there?

and it would be a private house so being quiet is not an issue for anyone except me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers