Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Defrosting in microwave question

amother

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 4:44 am
Are paper containers allowed to go in a microwave.
I have a container of soy milk that is frozen and I need it for a recipe I'm making today. Do you think it's ok to defrost it in the microwave? Is that dangerous? unhealthy?... I sometimes put a rich whip container in but I'm not sure about this...
anyone know?
thanks!

shaini

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 5:07 am
It wouldn't be unhealthy to use microwave defrosted soya milk. Paper containers can go in the microwave, only thing you will need to be careful about is that there is no plastic or a foil lining to the milk container which often happens if it is UHT milk. If you are really worried in any way why not try putting the container into another container which has warm water around it - the way people used to heat baby bottles and then when it has defrosted enough you may be able to cut the paper container away and put the solid lump of milk into something that can definately go into the microwave.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 5:09 am
Thanks. It's not UHT, the company is O'lacy. But I just looked inside the container and it looks a bit shiny, like possibly a foil lining. Thanks for your other idea, I think that is what I"ll do.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 10:43 pm
UHT is not a company. Its a process that makes soy milk/milk shelf stable. Most soy milks are UHT (unless you bought it in the refrigerator section of the grocery store). Meaning in all likelihood, you container is lined with plastic/foil. Also soy milk deteriorates in the freezer, it cannot be frozen like milk, so I do not know how good it will be once you defrost it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen