Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler first pair of shoes

june21

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:14 pm
where should I take my son to get measured for his first pair of shoes? in borough park/ nordstroms.
he's been walking for about 3 weeks now, time to get him sturdy shoes.
any specific brand? whats a normal price to pay?
TIA

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:35 pm
you might still want to wait as I find kids brush up on their walking better withoutt shoes than with it. That said you need to have a shoe store who is known to be good fitters. any company can be good, try though a style that is hightop meaning the back goes up, thats much better for begginners. prices range from 50$ - 90$ but youll have a harder time finding 50$ shoes and an eisier time finding s/t like 60-70$.

when I got the first pair for dd I was told to see if watever shoe fits her can go for the bigger size, the idea is that it can last longer if its not big but does have more space. NOTE: it doesnt work with all styles or for all kids. BH it worked and dd is wearing her first shoe for about 6 m shes outgrowing them and IYH now for YT shell be getting a new pair. Her feet measured 18 but I was able to get her a 19. I did have the store approoving it I wasnt going to take a bigger size if it was too big cuz then it can be very hard to walk for a begginer.

I did get dd shoes about 2 1/2 months after she started walking cuz it was still winter so I got it only when the weather became nicer. so she was an "expert" walker by the time the shoes were bought.

GOOD LUCK!

mazaltov

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:51 pm
my DD is just learning how to walk, and I feel the ROBEEZ SOFT SOLES are the best ones. their sizes vary- like 0-6, 6-12, and 12-18 (and higher). if your child has big feet go for the 12-18 months, my DD has small feet so I got her 6-12 and they are still a bit big Smile
they have tonz of cute prints and tehy dont cost more than $30.00!
good luck!

june21

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:01 pm
thank you, he is wearing the soft soles ones. dont remember the brand but I think that he needs something stronger by now. I dont want him to be walking bowlegged or I dont know how because I took my time getting him proper shoes.

julia lipman

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:09 pm
By me in teaneck nj we all go to stride rite, great shoes and they have salese all the time, now its buy one get one 50%. I've never been to a location where the staff weren't good.

purplpen

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 10:42 pm
If your in Flatbush go to J steps on Ave J and coney island/12th. Went there with both my kids and was very happy. You will prob get the eccos for the first pair because theyre very supportive and are good quality. should last for 3-4 months cuz kids feet grow fast at this age.

If your in BP try schwartz or teschers

Gluck

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 8:54 pm
mazaltov wrote:
my DD is just learning how to walk, and I feel the ROBEEZ SOFT SOLES are the best ones. their sizes vary- like 0-6, 6-12, and 12-18 (and higher). if your child has big feet go for the 12-18 months, my DD has small feet so I got her 6-12 and they are still a bit big Smile
they have tonz of cute prints and tehy dont cost more than $30.00!
good luck!

This is A good Idea as the winter is starting and you wont be walking outside with him anyway!
and about your concerns about walking problems, they wont come if theyre not there. shoes with hard soles wont take away the problem and shoes with a softer sole wont add much to the problem either. good luck with your choice.

oh and BTW I just got today a second pair of shoes for DD at 14th ave shoe store. Ive Had great experience the 1st time around after hoping around town,and again this time I circled BP and ended up getting there. Nice service, nice prices, and nice shoes! Yopu can make it a point to visit them if youre in BP!

Good Luck! and a ! כתובה וחתומה טובה

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 9:30 pm
If you're interested in coming into Manhattan, Ibiza Kids on Broadway between 12th and 13th (just South of Union Square) is great.

I've had much more positive experiences there than in Boro Park stores. I felt that the times I was there--the salesperson spent time looking at the shoes on my toddlers' feet and picked a particular shoe that provided support in the right places for each of my kids--for their particular needs.

(Also, every 7 pairs of shoes you buy there gets you a $50 store credit)

In the two Boro Park stores I've been to I felt that nobody spent time with me--I was rushed in and out even the one time I was the ONLY person in the store--"Oh this is what we have that is good for a new walker. Buy it and come back in 3 months. And yes it has to be a hard shoe that has laces. We've been doing this a long time" (not true, according to my pediatrician as well as a podiatrist relative of mine...)

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:00 pm
I second the recommendation for J Steps on Ave J between Coney Island and East 12th St. its a great shoe store. I have tried Teschers and Schwartz's in Boro Park and was not happy with either store. I like J Steps a lot. the salespeople spend enough time with you and are not pushy, the store is spacious, there is a play table to keep kids entertained, and the prices are the same as every other shoe store. I recommend this shoe store highly. in terms of shoe brands and prices, I think naturino, primigi, and geox are good solid italian brands, with very well-made shoes. geox is my favorite of the 3 since it is very very well-made and lasts really well. I do not like ecco shoes personally, since I had a bad experience with that brand, but it does have a good name. the italian brands run in the 50s and 60s for a pair of shoes I think.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:01 pm
Teschers in bp worked really well for me.

june21

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:18 am
thank you all.
I went to BP and got ecco shoes for 65... more than what I expected to pay I hope I made the right decision.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics