Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Eating shiurim on YK. how?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:47 pm
I've been given a heter for eating in shiurim for the coming YK.
I know that liquid wise I have a measure the amount of liquid I can have in one cheek, but how much solid can I eat each time ( "kosevet" or 30 gr. is not a very clear concept to me)? Also, do you eat, wait 9 minutes, drink, wait etc or can you eat and drink each time?
Lastly, what wold you recommend eating/drinking?

TIA

(sorry if the topic is not quitein the right category, but I couldn't find a suitable forum which allowed me to post anon and I don't want to publicize my status)

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:54 pm
As your rav for specifics. Was your psak for eating and drinking according to shiurim or just drinking? Did he say how often?

I have been told to alternate the two. I have a cup marked with the shiur, which is easy enough for drinks and food food it goes in the cup the same way, up until the line.

I was told a liquid is something that can go through a straw. Generally I water down yogurt with milk until it is runny enough for liquid. It is has food value and protein and sugar. I know someone who needs the sugar and drinks orange juice concentrate, but that would make me ill!

For food I really can't remember what I did. embarrassed It may have been cake, but I am not sure. I am drawing a total blank.

cubbie

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:02 pm
Ask your rav, it is specific to your circumstance, eg last year when I was 36 weeks high-risk I was told to do shiurim totally different to MIL who has major health issues by the same rav (in the same phonecall from dh)

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:02 pm
I'm slightly ashamed to ask ....I went through this a few years ago! I vaguely remember drinking a lot of grape juice and cutting high energy granola bars, but I wanted to know if anyone had better ideas....

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:05 pm
When I was allowed to eat/drink on YK after I gave birth, I was told that I should find foods that come individually wrapped in the right serving size such as granola bars. For drinks, they told me it should be 1 shot glass full and it should be something like juice or powerade, not water so that u get the benefits from the drink instead of empty water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics