Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Borat- for real!!
Previous  1  2  3  4

mama2many

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 10:24 pm
This makes me sad. I heard a horrendous story from a friend that she went to day school with a girl named "Kafira" - the parents liked the sound of the name and didn't have a clue. The last my friend heard was she married some guy named Philips (not sure he was even jewish) and she still remembers the day a teacher asked her why her parents would EVER name her something like that.

How's that for a turnoff from her roots.

There are PLENTY of "different" jewish-english names out there. Do your child a favor and look real hard for one you can agree on. I also worked in a public school and remember 2 black girls with "special" names: one was Afrika and the other was Eureka. GREAT NAMES - NOT!

flowerpower

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 10:28 pm
Why can't you put the jewish name on the birth certificate? These days 3/4 of the legal names are so unpronouncable and uncommon anyways, so what will happen if your nice jewish name is on it?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 10:42 pm
Should we be grateful you didn't reallyreallyreally like the movie Schindler's List and want to name your kid Adolf Hitler?

IMO naming your child after a movie character shows a decided lack of maturity.

Names should be meaningful. Both the 'Jewish' name and a 'secular' name should you decide for whatever reason to use one. And 'it's my favorite movie' isn't really all that meaningful.

shlomitsmum

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 7:12 am
The word for name is SHEM
The Word for Soul is neshama when spelled in Hebrew they share letters you can find the word for name in the word for soul ....amazing Very Happy !
thus ,the name is a reflexion of the soul!!! from Rabby krohn's naming your child CD.
Maybe Contact Rabbi Paysach Krohn he is an expert at helping people pick good names and do not saddle that soul with such a gross name. Very Happy

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 7:25 am
How about Bullwinkle?

shosh

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 7:40 am
Then there's Kermit or Miss Piggy, or even Gonzo, if you are a Muppets fan. And that's far less unsavoury than Borat, I would imagine.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 7:40 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Should we be grateful you didn't reallyreallyreally like the movie Schindler's List and want to name your kid Adolf Hitler?

Names should be meaningful. Both the 'Jewish' name and a 'secular' name should you decide for whatever reason to use one. And 'it's my favorite movie' isn't really all that meaningful.

OP here, seriously, adolf hitler!!! dont u think ur being a bit harsh! I mean I get it if u dont like my name choice or my reasoning behind it but theres really no need to get nasty!

Atali

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 7:48 pm
I agree that Yesha's comment and a few of the other ones are too harsh.

However, I think that you should consider that if these are the reactions that you are getting when just considering the name, imagine how people will react if you really give it.

While you may say that people should mind their own business, in reality people don't and kids are even worse.

If you really want to call DS Borat, I would recommend the option that someone mentioned awhile ago of coming up with a name that could be abbreviated as Borat.

For example, you could name him Boruch Tuvia and call him Borat for short. Or if you are particularly looking for English names you could name him Robert and call him Borat as a nickname (it has a lot of the same letters).

pina colada

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 7:59 pm
there was a child whose parents were denied the right to name their kid forreal. the first time they saw the kid in the sono, they were like "omg, is that for real?" and decided to name their kid that. thank goodness the gov't in the country-I don't recall which-didn't allow it.

leomom

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 10:22 pm
Gosh, OP, since you are so "for real" - ahem - and so, um, genuinely sincere, and so, well, amother... how about considering these ideas instead of the icky name Borat:

Borax
Boring
Bordello
Borscht

or how about one of these soundalikes (if you say them fast enough you can pretend you are saying Borat):
Floormat
Doormat
Hardhat (say it really really really fast and kind of slur all the letters)

Or how about just Rat, and then when you want to call him, you can still say, "Bo, Rat!"

I think I'm out of ideas now. Best of luck with your little troll - I mean baby.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 11:23 pm
amother wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

OP here, seriously, adolf hitler!!! dont u think ur being a bit harsh! I mean I get it if u dont like my name choice or my reasoning behind it but theres really no need to get nasty!

I don't think it's harsh at all. I think naming your kid Borat is harsh and selfish and cruel.

People have said the character of Borat is an anti-Semite... so why go for some two bit character on the screen, aim higher! Go for the king of modern day anti-Semitism!

And once again I'll say this... post a thread on a public forum and you're putting a target on your back for all sorts of responses.

ora_43

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 12:24 am
I think the title of this thread says it all. Any name that has to be followed by "for real!!" is not a name you should be giving your child.

There are a lot of things that it would be funny to name a child, or to teach a child to do or say (a four-year-old who says "good day, madam" and tips his hat instead of just saying hello? amusing). But part of being a parent is respecting your children as individuals, and deciding things like what to name them and what to teach them to do based on what's best for them, and not on what would be most amusing for you.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names