Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Graphic course

amother

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 6:05 pm
Im looking into taking a graphics course. I would like to hear from ppl that took a course:

Is there a future in the line?

Im in brooklyn. Who would you recommend as a good course? how much is it?

Do I need to know how to draw or be creative to know graphics (after a course), or once I take the course im sort-of good to go?

TIA

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:05 pm
That market has been flooded for years.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:54 pm
Ugh. Don't even get me STARTED on these "heimish" graphics courses.

They are totally, completely worthless. Don't waste your time. You need to be extremely talented OR have talent and get a great education. Good design is more than just learning how to operate Photoshop and Illustrator.

And like CM said, the market has been flooded for years, especially in NY Jewish communities where girls who are marginally artistic think it's a quick way to make money, or work from home.

Let me tell you: if you suck, no one will hire you.

And most graduates of these quickie Boro Park courses suck. Take a look at things like the Front Page in Monsey or the ads in papers like Hamodia and the Yated. They are embarrassing.

Go to a real college and get the actual design degree and learn about design the way it should be taught, or move on to another field that is easier to break into and doesn't require talent.

(Amother because I gave way too many details of what I do here)

cbh

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:41 pm
amother wrote:

They are totally, completely worthless. Don't waste your time. You need to be extremely talented OR have talent and get a great education. Good design is more than just learning how to operate Photoshop and Illustrator.

And like CM said, the market has been flooded for years, especially in NY Jewish communities where girls who are marginally artistic think it's a quick way to make money, or work from home.

And most graduates of these quickie Boro Park courses suck. Take a look at things like the Front Page in Monsey or the ads in papers like Hamodia and the Yated. They are embarrassing.

Go to a real college and get the actual design degree and learn about design the way it should be taught, or move on to another field that is easier to break into and doesn't require talent.

If OP lives in a "heimish" community, where "heimish" graphics is appreciated, and she has gotten some artistic streaks, then I would say go for it.

Who cares if the ad is embarrassing to some. Some might just find it attractive. Getting a "Real college degree" is not a definite success. I'm one of those quickies and I consider myself quite successful. I've done work for quite prominent Co.'s and I B"H passed with flying colors.

Of course the market is flooded, and so is the market of Shaitels and many other lines. The world is big enough for all us.

Hatzlacha

amother

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 12:16 am
cbh wrote:
amother wrote:

If OP lives in a "heimish" community, where "heimish" graphics is appreciated, and she has gotten some artistic streaks, then I would say go for it.

Who cares if the ad is embarrassing to some. Some might just find it attractive. Getting a "Real college degree" is not a definite success. I'm one of those quickies and I consider myself quite successful. I've done work for quite prominent Co.'s and I B"H passed with flying colors.

Of course the market is flooded, and so is the market of Shaitels and many other lines. The world is big enough for all us.

Hatzlacha

Bad design is bad design is bad design.

It makes the Jewish community look silly, unprofessional, and childish. It drives me crazy.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:

Wow! What happened to you?
Sounds personal...

cbh

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 7:51 pm
amother wrote:
cbh wrote:
amother wrote:

Hatzlacha

Bad design is bad design is bad design.

It makes the Jewish community look silly, unprofessional, and childish. It drives me crazy.

Oh, come on, don't harbor a complex Confused . There are good and bad designers among all circles. Being "Jewish, Heimish or a quicky" does not automatically throw you into the "bad" category. I have competed plenty with designers with a "real college degree". Neh, I'm not that impressed.

queen

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 8:06 pm
being successful depends on several factors- the main one being SIYATA D'SHMAYA.

I've seen (in all fields) untalented, non-educated people make lots of money, and college grads stuck in average jobs.

I two million times agree that quick 6 month courses are totally useless as it only wets the tip of design education. As I always tell ppl - everyone knows how to use a pencil, but how many people can actually draw? Just bec. you might have learned the programs, that does not mean you know how to design.

Design includes so many aspects not taught at any of these courses, and can't be taught all together in such a short time frame of 6 months. One must learn typography, color, space, prepress, retouching, marketing, among other things.

Having said all of the above- I also don't recommend sending a frum girl into the college environment to learn art. Artsy people can be weird. In Israel I can recommend Maalot that offers a good design program. If you can't go to Israel and your only option is a quick course- get yourself an apprentice job at the best place possible (where you'll be able to watch and learn from other top designers) telling them up front you don't want to be paid. Get experience, learn from other talent and daven for siyata di'shmaya.

It's a big world, and yes, there might be room for everyone... but if you want to make real money- you need to be good.

cbh

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 8:17 pm
queen wrote:
being successful depends on several factors- the main one being SIYATA D'SHMAYA.

I've seen (in all fields) untalented, non-educated people make lots of money, and college grads stuck in average jobs.

I two million times agree that quick 6 month courses are totally useless as it only wets the tip of design education. As I always tell ppl - everyone knows how to use a pencil, but how many people can actually draw? Just bec. you might have learned the programs, that does not mean you know how to design.

Design includes so many aspects not taught at any of these courses, and can't be taught all together in such a short time frame of 6 months. One must learn typography, color, space, prepress, retouching, marketing, among other things.

Having said all of the above- I also don't recommend sending a frum girl into the college environment to learn art. Artsy people can be weird. In Israel I can recommend Maalot that offers a good design
program. If you can't go to Israel and your only option is a quick course- get yourself an apprentice job at the best place possible (where you'll be able to watch and learn from other top designers) telling them up front you don't want to be paid. Get experience, learn from other talent and daven for siyata di'shmaya.

It's a big world, and yes, there might be room for everyone... but if you want to make real money- you need to be good.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Experience is the best teacher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers